[RESOLVED] I'm getting pissed! Quit downing AMD!

Thread: [RESOLVED] I'm getting pissed! Quit downing AMD!

strat79

Angry I'm getting pissed! Quit downing AMD!

I dont understand why everyone always puts Intel on top of the CPU market. People word there sentences like this: "Do you think AMD will keep up with Intel's new XXXX chip". I think it should be the other way around. AMD should get the recognition they deserve. It's my belief that AMD is putting out great CPU's that will tie or even surpass Intel's chips at a fraction of the cost. People say that Intel's chips score higher on benchmarks, yeah sometimes, on certain applications. but only by a point or 2. and you cant even see a difference in that not unless you benchmark it and see it. you might gain 1/8 a second on opening a program and does that doesnt constitute paying $200 more for the same speed processor from AMD.

On another note. People say that AMD chips are faulty and "crappy" processors. I have owned 3 AMD chips(never owned a Pentium and never want to until they drop there prices). My first chip was a K6-200Mhz in an IBM Aptiva. I never had a problem out of it one time. My next was a K6-3 400 Mhz in a systme I built myself. I was greatly impressed with it and still am running it today without problems. and just recently I built another computer with an AMD athlon 650. again a great CPU that runs fantastic.

I have a friend that swears by Intel. He keeps telling me that i shouldnt have ever bought a AMD chip. He just recently bought a Pentium 3 700 and we compared our benchmarks and mine was actually higher than his on alot of the tests. and he payed about $150 dollars more for his chip!

All in all i am just upset and letting out my frustrations on Intel lovers. I am not against Intel or anything. I would buy an Intel chip if i thought it was worth the extra(alot) money. So until Intl actually gives me a reason to buy one of there expenesive chips or AMD goes out of business(i really doubt it), I am AMD all the way.

Bob Arthur

Thumbs down

I also am a "dyed in the wool" AMD believer however I'm having some second thoughts. Robin Plummer and I have had bad problems with the Athlon processor. Recently I have purchased two cpu's one 750 and the other an 850. Both units were flawed and had to be returned. I have the 750 replacement back and it is running fine. I have yet to get the 850 exchanged but it won't even boot the machine. Robin has similar problems and we are both wondering what happened to AMD"s quality control. I've been running a K6-3/400 for the past year on a Tekram M/B and it is great. When I decided to upgrade to Athlon I've been sorry ever since. Up to now My first choice of processors was AMD, now I'm not so sure.
    Bob Arthur

Angry

Its easier to put AMD down than it is to realise that you don't know as much about putting computers that you thought you did. That is the way I look at it. An Athlon cannot be put together with bottom shelf bargin parts. I have put dozens of these things together and have never had a problem. I am sure there are bad parts out there. Every one has them, but I have yet to have one with this chip. I use Micron memory, 300 watt approved power supplies, retail(not OEM) cpu's, ASUS and MSI motherboards, and other name brand components. This is nothing new, I do the same for Intel machines and I will when I test the new cyrix chip. Take a little time while assembling your machines and you will be surprised. Athlon, PIII, or anything else!!
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

tpikdave

Thumbs up

I have built three AMD systems so far using socket seven boards on one atx and one at. The atx is a bcm mobo and the at is a soyo. Both have been bulletproof. The third is an Athlon 550 using all AMD recommended parts and it too has been a great performer. I just go with AMD cause of the price, some day when intel realizes that their droppings stink just like everyone elses I will build a pentium III system.

Originally posted by tpikdave:
    I have built three AMD systems so far using socket seven boards on one atx and one at. The atx is a bcm mobo and the at is a soyo. Both have been bulletproof. The third is an Athlon 550 using all AMD recommended parts and it too has been a great performer. I just go with AMD cause of the price, some day when intel realizes that their droppings stink just like everyone elses I will build a pentium III system.
    Hey you are great. I two have built several machines using AMD and they are great. I just bought 2 K6-500 and two K-333 and $59 and $29 at tigerdirect. what a buy!
    Ken

I like AMD for their cheap pricing , I ran a k6-2/500 and a 400 , both were good CPUs, But I find the ALI chip set is limited in it's support, my 3-d blaster tnt 2 video card with 32 megs of memory would only give me 640 x 480 while playing Delta force, My friends voodo 3 2000 16 meg agp out performed mine with the Via chipset and a PIII 550 e
    I have moved over to a Celery on a Gigabyte board that will also support the new flip chip and my video support is better, I also have a nice upgrade path since socket 7 is on it's way out
    I think AMD and Intel both have a place in the computer industry

------------------
    Format c reboot,reboot,reboor,reboot )

[This message has been edited by format c: (edited July 02, 2000).]
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Vampiro

yeah AMD and Intel both being around just gives everyone a better product at a better price, I've built 3 AMD systems for myself and 2 Intel machines for myself (many more for other people. I cant speak about the ones I've built for sure only know nobodies complained
    but for the ones I built for me I have had far better luck and performance from the AMD's I wont buy intel anymore untill thier prices become reasonable, I know my athlon outperforms an equivelent intel with most software. and now with the Thunderbird out, WooHoo cant wait to get some extra bucks to build me another AMD system!
    Vamp