[RESOLVED] VXD VMM(01) ERROR

Thread: [RESOLVED] VXD VMM(01) ERROR

Iain

Question VXD VMM(01) ERROR

Hi.
    I get the following error:-
    C:\My Documents\Error\Q256850 - Error Message An Exception OD Has Occurred at VXD VMM(01)+00004338 0028:C0005338

My spec i:-
    K6-2 550Mhz (not clocked)
    128Mb PC100 Ram
    32Mb Diamond Stealth 3 s540
    ALi Motherboard 542B
    20Gb Harddisk
    Windows 98SE
    ======
    There is a fix for Windows 95 for AMD's greater than 300Mhz, but I have Win 98 2nd Ed.
    Checked out Micosoft's help at:- http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q256/8/50.ASP

It acknowledges there is a problem, and tells me to contact Microsoft for the fix/patch.
    I have. But to no avail. I e-mailed AMD to no avail.

I am beginnig to wish I spent more money and bought a Pentium.
    Please help me.
    Iain

[email protected]

What are you doing when you get this error? Does it occur when you are in safe mode? What kind of programs are you running in the background? Are you clean of viruses including those that reside in the MBR. Why do you think there is a problem with the chip? The error you got "An Exception OD Has Occurred at VXD VMM(01)+00004338 0028:C0005338" Is not the same as the one that you found in the data base. The one in the Data base applies to double-byte character set (DBCS) versions of Windows 98 Second Edition (this includes language versions such as Chinese [both Simplified and Traditional], Japanese [including the NEC platform], and Korean). Are you using one of these?

Please give more information.

P.S. Don't doubt what you put together, it sounds like a decent machine. (You have to remember that Windows was written on Intel machines and M$ has not taken into consideration the AMD chip. (thus the term Wintel) If you read the article on the Windows protection error regarding Windows95 M$ actually admits that the problem with the 350+ chips was their fault)

hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

Iain

Hello.
    I am doing various different tasks. For example, the error occurs when I enter www.gameplay.com (I guess becasue of the flashy graphics).
    I always seem to get it intermitently, but always when I go to start the application.
    I use cntrl,alt,del and shutdown all programs, but I still get the error. I also get the error when I use a boot disk/startup disk.
    I have no viruses.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Microsoft admits a fault with Win 95 and AMD chips, and offers a patch. Win 98 might have the same problem - I don't know.
    All I know is a lot of people are having exactly the same problems as me.
    ----
    Their suggestions have been to change the CPU voltage, and to open up the cover and blow a fan into it! Which seems unnceessary.
    I have even went out and bought the best cpu fan for the chip, but I still get the problem!

Originally posted by Iain:
    Hello.
    I am doing various different tasks. For example, the error occurs when I enter www.gameplay.com (I guess becasue of the flashy graphics).
    I always seem to get it intermitently, but always when I go to start the application.
    I use cntrl,alt,del and shutdown all programs, but I still get the error. I also get the error when I use a boot disk/startup disk.
    I have no viruses.
    Hello,
    I went to the site that you had the link for and I noticeed it has some Flash animations on it. At this point I would recommend going to Macromedias home page and downloading the latest player. I would also look for new drivers for the video card and the AGP slot. By the way, who made the MOBO and ram?

You also said that it occurs while using a boot disk which would lead me to believe that there is another issue occuring. If it is giving you issues in DOS then I would say there is a problem with your ram or cpu. Try moving your ram do a different slot or try another stick of it. If you think it is the cpu, there might be a problem with heat, or PS voltages. You said that you have a good heatsink on it, but a heatsink is not as effective if you have cables drapped across it or it there is no proper circulation inside the case. As far as the PS goes, if your voltages are not stable or are not correct this will also give you random errors.

Iain

Fixed it.

I fitted in a good fan, which cooled down the CPU. Unfortunately, the fan makes one hell of a noise! But I don't get any blue screens!

Brilliant.

Originally posted by Iain:
    Fixed it.

I fitted in a good fan, which cooled down the CPU. Unfortunately, the fan makes one hell of a noise! But I don't get any blue screens!

Brilliant.
    Cool!! ( no pun intended)