Athlon boards and video

Thread: Athlon boards and video

Question Athlon boards and video

I'm building an athlon 800 using an EP-7KXA mobo, a 128 meg Micron PC133, WD ATA66 HDD, an Imation LS120, and a V770 TNT2. I got the pc to boot, installed Win98SE...when I rebooted, I got no video. I've tried the video card in other machines and it works fine, so I tried a different video card in the EP machine, no video...I've tried another mobo in the EP machine, no video...it's got a 300 watt p/s, and it seems to power...I can feel and hear the
    drives init, but still no video. I think it's unlikely that 2 mobos by different manufacturers would have bad AGP slots...any ideas?
    Chunga's Revenge
    Kill them all, for God will surely know his own....

Darren Wilson

Sounds like you hav ethe AGP sliot set to4x in the BIOS. Try dropping it down to 2x

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

Darren, I'd love to, but the video is a no go, so no bios, no...anything....the more I think about it, the more it sounds like substandard power...not enough to kick the cpu over?
    Chunga's Revenge

Have you tried with a PCI video card ?

------------------
    feel free to comment on my website. http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

Yep...still no good...I have replaced the power supply now as well, and nothing...two boards, different manufacturers, different ram...new power supply, and traded out cards...what the f^&k is this, gremlins?
    Chunga's Revenge

Lightbulb

Darren, Paul, thanks for the help...turns out it was bad juice from the WALL SOCKET...I'm getting a pretty good spray out of it, and the damned thing wouldn't settle down enough to complete the boot...I moved it from one outlet to another in the workroom,and lo and behold, full boot with relatively few issues...are these Athlons touchy, or am I imagining thing?
    Chunga's Revenge

I had to disable auto detect on the AGP set up and specify a 1X setting on a Diamond 8MB card. I don't think the AGP auto settings work on any Athlon board yet, at least none I've dealt with, but it is new technology and a few bugs will occur.
    Favorite Customer Quote: I need help, my thingy doesn't work!