[RESOLVED] problems with 1ghz 800mhz and 750mhz athlon scktA cpu's

Thread: [RESOLVED] problems with 1ghz 800mhz and 750mhz athlon scktA cpu's

adricm

Question problems with 1ghz 800mhz and 750mhz athlon scktA cpu's

Using the MSI K7T pro motherboard (approved by amd) using kingston pc 133mhz ram (approved by crucial.com for athlon&msi boards) using fotron source 300w atx powersaupplies(amd approved), and using a approved cpu cooler, we are haveing a hell of a time building a stable pc.

We either get errors on installing win98 se oem, or if we manage to get it installed we get lockups when accessing more than 62mb of ram.. we have tried several brands of ram, (some pc100 some pc133) and AMI diagnostics reports errors in walking bit tests. with all (5 kinds tried sofar)

we have tried several motherboards (flashed & unflashed bios's), we have tried 750mhz athlon, 800mhz athlon, and 1000mhz athlon(2 of them) we have tried several powersupplies, several hard drives, both pci and agp video cards, we have tried ASUS A7V motherboards,

These machines work flawlessly when we install a duron 600mhz cpu in them. but take it out and put in the athlon, blammo..

we have talked to AVUS our supplier, for tech support, and stumped them.

------------------

-- The history of high technology shows that great technology and lousy marketing loses out to good-enough technology and great marketing pretty much every time.
    -Michael Fitzgerald (redherring)

In one of the really, really Blue states.

sounds to me like you got the ram, cpu issues covered. have you swapped out the mobo? maybe you got a bad one?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

adricm

dricm
    Originally posted by techs:
    sounds to me like you got the ram, cpu issues covered. have you swapped out the mobo? maybe you got a bad one?
    Yesm 3 motherboards, 2 brands, 2 MSI K7T Pro, and 1 ASUS A7V. none of them would let us get far enough to install windows fully, or when running on a hdd preinstalled, when we taxed memory resources, (opening all the fonts, plus running 4 or 5 alpplications. it would crash rather than swapping to hdd..

adricm

Lightbulb

Originally posted by techs:
    Followup, Got a Email from someone having similar problems. memory useage over 64mb caused problems, and to select "OS Select for DRAM 64=OS2" its a kludge but now the system's pass ami-diagnostics..

Anyone else run into this? or can anyone run down a know working config for a working socketA athlon system..

------------------

-- The history of high technology shows that great technology and lousy marketing loses out to good-enough technology and great marketing pretty much every time.
    -Michael Fitzgerald (redherring)

garyd

Question

Have same MO on ASUS A7V w/800 t-bird, 30 hours plus and driving me crazy. About to call it a bad MB but after reading yours am not so sure. Have noticed that "PCI master read caching" and "delayed transaction" are shown as enabled for the athlon in the manual but the BIOS will not let me enable them. Have succeeded in 98SE but it blows when adding basic devices, upgraded all BIOS and drivers, loaded via ATA100 and ATA66, ran setup off the hard drive, etc, etc, will now attempt loading with 32mb of PC100 and try to slow the thing down as much as possible. Could the thing think the Athlon is a Duron in jumper free mode??

deltacs

hmmm sounds like u have had the same problem as we did......we did everything you did and found that it was the memory all the time....i could put the memory in my pentium 3/500 and there where no problems but in the athlons there was...we then went to amd and they said that we needed to use (6 layer cas latency 2 memory....hope this helps you as it did with ours.......

jackal

Unhappy

OK.. I have an Asus A7V w/AMD 800Mhz TB cpu. 128Mb of PC-133, Voodoo 3000 AGP, Vortex2 Quad PCI sound, on a Win98se w/IE 5.1 on a Maxtor ATA100-20Gig (7200rpm). Every time I try to play a game that involves Direct 3d or Open GL my entire screen, keyboard and mouse lock up. I've installed the latest 3dfx drivers (1.07?) and all the latest builds for the 4in1 drivers from Asus, including the AGP miniport and CPU to AGP drivers. Still, it locks up. I've even tried replacing the Voodoo with a Hercules Prophet2MX GeForce2 w/32Mb and the same probs. I've checked other web forums and no one has an answer. I've done all variations of BIOS settings, and AGP port settings, and still nothing. I've reloaded windows clean install 3 times... including all the upgrades.. I have DirectX 8, (tried 7, and 7a to the same effect.) This is my second motherboard (started with FIC AZ11) and have even swapped the processor. My other machine is the same setup but w/AMD 1 GIG and the afore mentioned GeForce card and IT WORKS) Needless to say I am missing something with the 800 setup. WHAT??????????
    [email protected]

d_dcomp

I had the same probs with the aureal vortex2 running with the voodoo cards when I stuck in the nvida card worked well until got to the geforce then same problem.

I do have a solution though you may not like it. Vortex card does not like to share IRQs make sure that the Aureal card has it's own IRq if you cannot do this then try giving your vid card its own irq also look at the mem settings in the advanced setup of the cards if any of the mem blocks are overlapping that is bad. Need their space, dealing with cards that try and take advantage of all the resources that are allocated to them ecspecially the vortex card. You may need to change the slot of the sound card.

There are some things to try anyway good luck.

------------------
    Later days and better leis!!

Club75

I had many prob w setting up my A7V w T Bird w Win ME but all worked out. First check all of the settings in bios I have overlooked things when aggrivated. fdisk first then format check bios again after a nightsleep. Install win ME install all drivers on Asus cd that came w mb .Be careful to do in this order install modem , scsi , modem , ect in that order .Last of all sound card. windows likes to put all new cards on IRQ 5 bumping the last from it. I love the new T bird does photo Shop faster than I have ever seen.

Jackal

Exclamation

I solved the Problem.... I got rid of the Aureal sound card... Put in a SB 512. Although my NIC, Sound Card and USB drivers are set to IRQ 7 (and if I try to change it in BIOS, they all change...hmmm) Windows doesn't show any errors and all seems to work well now.