Just a thought...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought...

Post Just a thought...

It seems that everyone overclocks Athlons anyway, so why don't they just ship them pre-overclocked??? Everyone's always worried about cooling, overheating, buying this and that...hell why is AMD selling a chip that isn't performing as good as it can??

Just a thought...

Good thought but I think they ship them the way they do for tolerance of different machines and setups. I would have to think if they ran them on the edge (maxed) there would not be any leeway for different boards and power supplies out there. That and not every machine is created equal.

Older Celerons used to be king of overclocking too.

Well not all the newer chips are unlocked. . .a simple task to unlock them, but makes beginners nervous. and for durability. thats why overclocking voids the warranty. On another note, I heard that if you buy a retail amd chip with the heatsink , and change the heatsink that too voids the warranty. .is this true?
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad

Darren Wilson

Originally posted by Insanemonkey:
    It seems that everyone overclocks Athlons anyway, so why don't they just ship them pre-overclocked??? Everyone's always worried about cooling, overheating, buying this and that...hell why is AMD selling a chip that isn't performing as good as it can??

Just a thought...
    Not just AMD. Intel's chips are overclockable as well.

Not everyone overclocks their AMD's either. I for one don't, neither do a lot of the visitors here.

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Not just AMD. Intel's chips are overclockable as well.

Not everyone overclocks their AMD's either. I for one don't, neither do a lot of the visitors here.
    I dont bother overclocking my athlon. With the emphasis on performance shifting from your CPU to your video card, I'll be using my Athlon 700 as stock for a long time yet.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

I too would never even consider for a second overclocking any CPU. I have never understud the point of such actions. Todays CPU's run fast enough in my opinion without adding to the risk of damage with this pointless obsession in trying to make Sandra get you slightly ahead with the benchmarks. I'm sure CPU's could be put to better use than just burning them out.
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

I've never been one to over clock my CPU's, no matter what brand they are. My Athlon 500 and 900 are both running at their stock speed. Now video over clocking... Thats a different story. Currently have my Radeon 64MB card running at 215MHz and what a difference it makes. Darren, I know you use these cards, have you bothered to push them at all?
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

Darren Wilson

Not by overclocking I haven't, but I do push it to the max though in res & colour depths and it handles that fine

When i overclocked my P3 933 to 1ghz (and earlier celery 667 to 900mhz) i knew that it wouldnt make much difference in gaming because my video card (gf2 mx) was already processing pretty much to its max. Its more of a "been there, done that" thing. Be very careful when overclocking the vid card though, they are much more fragile than todays cpus. i can run mine at 205core 205mem okay. (std is 175/166) and it makes a hellofa difference in frame rate.
    but as i said, its pretty touch and go.
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

It doesn't always hurt the CPU guys. Allot of AMD's come with a higher core than what they are actually running. Because of high demand for some of the lower end AMD's the company will take a higher MHZ CPU and lock them into a lower speed. I recently picked up a 750MHZ Athlon and took off the heat sink to find it was really a 900MHZ core. I unlocked the CPU and it's been running great at 900. If you buy a chip and it's core is higher, why not run it at the core MHZ?

CobraTekMax

Just a thought...
    Because their rated speed is whatever they're shipped at. So if it's shipped "overclocked" that would be it's rated speed. Any "adjustments" you make would then put it above that rated speed, and therefore, overclock it.

How do you really know they aren't already doing so?
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Originally posted by Wayward Clam:
    How do you really know they aren't already doing so?
    thats scary!
    they're watching u, yes they are!

the plot for a good horror movie!
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

It seems that everyone overclocks Athlons anyway, so why don't they just ship them pre-overclocked?
    Why do they use best-before-date's on food? Because we want to be sure that these things are ok til that time...

And why don't they extend that time, as nearly all food can be (and IS) consumed even after this time?
    Because I will KILL those guys if I'd ever be in pain because of old food and find out they did this relabelling only to make more profit! (probably they do and I don't find out... *grmpf*)

Does this explain why there should be an assured quality in manufacturing?

BTW: Should red be equal to green only because a lot of people don't stop at red lights and astonishingly that works?

Darren Wilson

Originally posted by Higg:
    Why do they use best-before-date's on food? Because we want to be sure that these things are ok til that time...

And why don't they extend that time, as nearly all food can be (and IS) consumed even after this time?
    Because I will KILL those guys if I'd ever be in pain because of old food and find out they did this relabelling only to make more profit! (probably they do and I don't find out... *grmpf*)

Does this explain why there should be an assured quality in manufacturing?

BTW: Should red be equal to green only because a lot of people don't stop at red lights and astonishingly that works?
    Never thought of it that way before. Bloody good points though !!!