[RESOLVED] AMD___VS___INTEL Just a name or a CPU?

Thread: [RESOLVED] AMD___VS___INTEL Just a name or a CPU?

AcId_BuRn

Post AMD___VS___INTEL Just a name or a CPU?

i think its just a name but i wanna know what you think. Intel has more broad than AMD but mine works just as well as an Intel.
    So why pay for the name?

hugheysoup

I think that it is basically paying for the name.

Although I don't think AMD can be used for dual proccessors yet......but that is coming. It may even be here and I don't know yet?
    ------------------
    Why say no, when it feels sooo good to say yes?........

[This message has been edited by hugheysoup (edited February 26, 2001).]

robbydobby

well the name is a lot to do with the price but amd is by far better in performance in all bench mark test amd 1.2ghz runs games faster then p4 1.5ghz

------------------
    How do I set my laser printer to "stun"?
    I can't back up my hard drive, there's no reverse button.

StevePorter

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robbydobby:
    well the name is a lot to do with the price but amd is by far better in performance in all bench mark test amd 1.2ghz runs games faster then p4 1.5ghz

</font>
    P4s aren't gonna be worth dick until Microsoft (or somebody else) releases 64-bit versions of their operating systems that fully utilize the chip's capabilities. Until then, it's playing in emulation mode to run 32-bit apps which is gonna slow it down big-time...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Wink

Quality or Speed??? That's the question!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    P4s aren't gonna be worth dick until Microsoft (or somebody else) releases 64-bit versions of their operating systems that fully utilize the chip's capabilities. Until then, it's playing in emulation mode to run 32-bit apps which is gonna slow it down big-time...
    </font>
    Methinks you're thinking of Intel's upcoming (for about 2 years now) IA-64 chip....the P4 is 32-bit only. Bu it's still gonna suck until software companies write software that takes advntage of all it's bells and whistles. Whereas with AMD, there's no need to recompile ANYTHING....gee, I wonder which is the more cost-effective solution?

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

technick

This is what I know from experience.. notice I say experience.. Intel makes good chips, they are good for games, and graphics.. but that's about all.. The AMD 1.2 chip runs everything almost as well as the 1.5.. but what you people have to consider more company's design technology for intel. My Voodoo 5 videocard runs higher fps on a intel chip than a amd chip (on the old 3dfx site it says straight out that it's designed for the intel platform). That's the big difference.. the name and the support.

------------------
    "You Best Unchain My Chicken!"

Jvaguy

for price and speed, and how well in the long run .. no question AMD .. Intel is just a name now ... both amd and intel are great however im a amd fan and plan to stay this way as long as AMD maintains this kickass roadmap

------------------
    I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

knightdemon

Price, speed, and quality..... The winner is AMD hands down.

Darren Wilson

Topic Closed as it has been covered more times than I can remember previously.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.