[RESOLVED] New guy here, HELP.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] New guy here, HELP.

Miv

Unhappy New guy here, HELP.

Ok, I have myself a new computer. Athlon 1 ghz...

Anyway, it has Windows ME on it which I think I hate already. I don't know if i just have a lemon of a computer or if its Windows that that is giving me fits.

First my computer keeps locking up at random times...Sometimes it will run for hours or days and then it may freeze up every 5 minutes. (The best thing about ME is that it will reboot fast.) Do any of you have any ideas what this may be or any suggestions for me?

The second problem is with my Ethernet card. I have a D-Link DFE-530+ that just will not work. Everybody I have talked to tells me that the drivers for this card should already be loaded in Windows ME but for some reason I can just not get it to work.

Thanks for any help guys, this is driving me crazy...

I really can't afford for my computer to keep locking up on me with the programs that i HAVE to run...Being Ultima and 3D Max...haha

First thing to do is return the D-Link network card and get a LinkSys (I've seen a lot of D-Links go bad right out of the box). Second thing....what's the rest of your configuration, hmmm? It matters you know. It would also help if you could tell us which PCI slot each device is in.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

Miv

oh man this is like asking a woman how to fix an engine on a race car...

i have no idea about slots or anythign like that. i did get some update for my video card though. it makes the whole thing super fast or it seems to be. and i havent locked up once since i loaded it. hope that was the only problem, i also updated through windows online so that may have fixed the problem too.

i still havent gotten in to the ethernet card yet.

Unless defective the Dlink should work fine but you will need to install the drivers in the WIN98 directory of the disk that came with it.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Miv

remember this is only my 3rd post. how do i do that? put it in the win 98 directory? i assume i can do this even though i am running ME?

Ok. Let's get real basic. Right-click on the 'My Computer' icon. Choose 'properties' from the menu. Left-click on the 'device manager' tab. If the card was detected by Windows you will have an item that says 'other devices' with a sub-item labeled something like 'pci ethernet controller.' Double left-click this item to bring up its properties. Left-click on the 'driver' tab. Left-click 'update driver.' (From here I don't have a version of Windows that matches yours so you need to figure out a bit on your own.) You should be able to 'browse' for the driver location or choose 'have disk' and then 'browse.' When prompted for the location just enter a:\win98 or browse to that folder and double-click it. Now click 'apply' or 'ok' and your system should read the files off the floppy and install them properly. After the copying/installing is complete you will need to reboot Windows. If all is well, then you should be able to return to the device manager and confirm that under 'network adapters' you should now have a listing for the D-Link adapter without any yellow exclamation mark. This means that the card is now properly installed. Congratulations.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

hillbilly77

Angry

Here is what you do:

1. Take your computer back
    2. Buy a prefab system (Compaq, HP, DELL)
    3. Dont mess with it
    4. Get AOL
    5. Now you are a official newbie

Man If you dont feel comfortable doing this then you need to take some classes or watch some one for a month or two build machines.
    Building computers requires more than snaping parts in to a machine, and installing a operating system.

Sebring

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hillbilly77:
    Here is what you do:

1. Take your computer back
    2. Buy a prefab system (Compaq, HP, DELL)
    3. Dont mess with it
    4. Get AOL
    5. Now you are a official newbie

Man If you dont feel comfortable doing this then you need to take some classes or watch some one for a month or two build machines.
    Building computers requires more than snaping parts in to a machine, and installing a operating system.

</font>
    No, actually that's exactly what building computers is. Snapping parts in and installing an O/S. It's after these steps are taken that you begin to troubleshoot/learn about computers. The computer industry moves too fast for everyone to stay up to date on the latest hardware/software before they have to install it in someone's computer. Some of us are gifted with a natural talent to work with computers and solve problems quickly and the rest just work a little harder. You wanna solve your problem Miv keep doing what you are doing. Collect your own data. Now that being said, you haven't told us what kind of system you have there. What brand is it, was it custom built for you, is it under warranty somewhere, and do you even have the install/driver disk for the D-Link Card? Did it come already installed in the system?

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

Miv

I am sorry, I didn't see where this was a board for only people who can build a computer from a cardboard box, 3 nails and a piece of tin foil. I didn't build it myself I bought it. (that was to the person who went out of his way to post something for no reason other than to make himself feel smart.)

Now back to the helpful people...

I have the disk with the drivers on it and have been trying to load them before I got on this board. Everytime it tells me that the file 'DLKRTS.sys' was not found. It tells me that it needs the driver disk when in fact is is reading from the driver disk. I talked to the Tech people twice who had no clue how to help me. The second time the lady told me that they do not make drivers for Windows ME.

What else did you need to know? It's a Systemax, Athlon 1ghz...

hugheysoup

What type of Motherboard is it?
    What type of Video?
    What type of soundcard?
    And if they are PCI (small white slots) or ISA (black slots).
    And anything that you have to load software in order to get to run. This might help to get an answer you are looking for.

------------------
    Why say no, when it feels sooo good to say yes?........

Hughey, I don't think he is gonna be able to answer that(no offense Miv). Wow, someone can make a computer from 3 rusty nails, reminds me of that show Macgyver.

Miv, I just downloaded the latest drivers for your D-Link network card. How were you loading the driver for the network when you got that error. It is true that the company does not make WinME specific drivers for that network card but most likely the Win98 driver will work fine for it. The file it is asking you for is under the Win98 folder on that disk atleast according to the driver disk I downloaded. You can also do a StartMenu->Find->Files or Folders->DLKRTS.SYS for file and a:\ for for the look in folder and that too will show you where the file is. Now, it will find the file several times because there is a copy of the file for each operating system the drivers were designed for but use the Win98 or Win9x one.

Good luck and Have fun,
    Tony

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Sebring

Actually Miv I am running WinME on Celeron 800MHZ system with that exact same D-Link card. It's connected to my cable modem so you should be able to install it your system as well. I even pulled it out of a machine which was running Win95. So, you may have a bad driver disk/card or a conflict with another piece of hardware. After you install the card have you looked in device manager for conflicts? To get to the device manager click on Start, go to Settings, and then to Control Panel. Click on the System icon and then click on the "Device Manager" tab. Look for anything listed with an exclamation point beside it. If you find something there let me know. If not, I would try to exchange the card for a new one or possibly a different brand.

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

Miv

i get that error message when i go in to the device manager and click update drivers.

it goes through the disk and tells me that i do not have that file.

i have even downloaded the drivers from the net and i get the same message.

i was told by the dlink people that winME should already have my drivers on it.

still needing help,
    miv

Miv

yeah there is always a yellow mark there ever since i put the card in. the mark is beside the dlink card under network adapters.

there are a few other things listed there too but without a mark beside it.

other things are...
    aol dial up adapter
    aol adapter
    dial up adapter
    dail up adapter #2(VPN Support)
    microsoft virtual private networking adapter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miv:
    yeah there is always a yellow mark there ever since i put the card in. the mark is beside the dlink card under network adapters.

there are a few other things listed there too but without a mark beside it.

other things are...
    aol dial up adapter
    aol adapter
    dial up adapter
    dail up adapter #2(VPN Support)
    microsoft virtual private networking adapter
    </font>
    Oh My God, its too late!!!!!! Nooooo, its not your time!!!!! If AOL is on the computer than all bets are off. You have added a wildcard to that computer. Anything+AOL=who knows. Did the Nic work before AOL?

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)