Celeron 366/Socket370 is overclockable?

Thread: Celeron 366/Socket370 is overclockable?

Hybrid View

Celeron 366/Socket370 is overclockable?

I want to buy a Cel366 in an Asus p2b-f with adapter socket370/slot1. I want to make it works at 500Mhz, but I have read that at this frequence system may fail to work.
    Can I do that?

I find with overclocking, it is best to try for all or none. What you propose is to run a celeron 366, which is multiplier locked at 5.5, on an 83 mhz bus for 83x5.5=500 mhz. This chip would *probably* work at that speed, but there are other things to consider.

Default clock for your PCI bus is FSB/2 for 66, 75, and 83 mhz FSB settings; FSB/3 for 100, 103, 112, 124 mhz FSB settings; or (for Abit BX boards) for 133 mhz FSB settings, PCI clock is FSB/4. That is a lot to swollow all at once, but what it boils down to is that the PCI bus is designed to run at 33 mhz. This means your IDE controller, network card, sound card, modem, video card, and any other device that plugs into PCI slots is designed to run at 33 mhz. When you run your CPU on an 83 mhz FSB, you run your PCI cards at 83/2 or 41.5 mhz. VERY FEW cards can take this speed, especially video cards. On the same note, at 83 mhz FSB, your AGP slot will also run at 83 mhz -- far above it's intended 66 mhz setting. You will not be able to get many AGP cards to work reliably at 83 mhz.

If you want to overclock, try the 75 mhz setting, or the 100 mhz setting. They are a lot easier to achieve than 83. (side note -- at 100 mhz FSB, the AGP slot runs at 2/3 FSB speed, or 66 mhz) While 75 mhz will run your cards a little faster than intended, they will probably work, and you will get 5.5x75=413 mhz. The best overclocking setup would be if you could get your 366 to work at 100 mhz FSB or 550 mhz. This would run your PCI and AGP at their correct speeds and your CPU at a speed that would make you happy too.

In a nutshell, to answer your question, you probably cant do 500 mhz with a 366.

Darren Wilson
    be careful with PGA370 CPU & Converters on the Asus range of boards. My own personal experiences with using various converters on the P2B range, has been BIOS resets & also random system resets. If a standard Slot 1 CPU is used , the problems go away . I thought it might be the brand of converter so I tried others with the same results.

By all means give it a go, but I wouldn't hold my breath on the 366 being too stable @ 83 let alone 100MHz. They seem to run fine & 5.5 x 75 though so it is little increase.

Make sure you have good PC100 SDRAM though.

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

Thanks for suggestions.
    I know problems of malfuncion of PCI and IDE peripherals when the bus clock is set to 83 or >,
    but I have read that Asus P2B-F could make function PCI,AGP and IDE channel at the default speed
    while CPU is overclocked. This is a legend?????
    (I hope I explained well what I would say... I don't write very well in english!!!)

About adapters, I thought that Asus board+Asus adapter wouldn't give problems...or not????

garm

You better believe it is possible. My 366 Malaysian week 22 does 568 at 2.3v. If it is week22 or earlier it will do it

Update: I sold my Dad my Celeron 433 in favor of a PPGA 366. 568 at 2.1 volts. Generic Slocket converter, medium large heatsink fan combo. One case fan in addition to the power supply fan. Cover on, 95 degrees farenheit cast temp right now. The chip is week 27 from malay.

I'm sorry, but the P2B-F cannot run the PCI and AGP slots at the correct speeds if the FSB is set for any thing other than 66 or 100. It isn't a motherboard limitation, but a limitation to the BX chipset.

H-Bomber

Hmm, I have been considering one of these 366 PPGA Celerons, but just want to know what sort of success rates people are having hitting 550 mhz and beyond. At the moment I am running a Celeron 300a at 450 and everything seems great, but would the extra speed I would gain from one of these CPU's at 550 mhz be worth it over the current 450 mhz setup, especially if the chip dont overclock and I have no other option but to go for 83x5.5 = 456mhz. My Celeron 300 using a 100mhz fsb would be better than the 366 running 456 using only 83mhz fsb. Any ideas or anything i should be looking out for peoples, any other dates etc, Thanks.