[RESOLVED] PIII multiplier lock?

Thread: [RESOLVED] PIII multiplier lock?

AireNet

Question PIII multiplier lock?

Thanks to Asus poor documentation, I've had difficulty overclocking my PIII 450 to 500. The board offers a jumperless setting of the CPU's speed but doesn't allow me to do so in BIOS. The documentation suggests that I set the motherboard to non-jumperless so I can manually adjust the settings. I did so, but then found that once I set my board to run the chip at 500, bios reported that I was running at 450, just like before. Is there a Multiplier lock on the PIII like the Celeron? I didn't think there was, but from the difficulty I've recieved from tring to overclock, it seems to me that there could be... any help or suggestions?

There is a multi. lock on anything and everything intel makes, anything!

The only way you can overclock is by increasing the bus speed.

AireNet

Talking

I guess I didn't do my homework before I bought the chip. Intel dose indeed place a multiplier lock on all of its chips today. I boosted my board to 112 which put my CPU at 504, my AGP to 70 and my PCI to 37. My computer can have problems at boot up from now and then due to the memory running at a higher then normal speed, otherwise, thanx for the help.

TopGunn

Talking

Your 450 will go to 600.....if you're willing to fiddle with the 'board, and get a decent cooler

AireNet

600! I don't see how that's possible without boosting the core frequency. 600Mhz would be running my board at around 133MHz.... that's Intel's goal for the 810 chipset, not my board. My memory and PCI cards would no longer function! (my AGP would be considered 4x at 133 which my card supports) How could I get 600?

Building a system for a customer right now that is doing 558 at 2.05 vols on a P3BF and is rock stable. Running at around 130F. Could probably squeeze a little more out of it, but they flinched when they saw the current prices of PC133 RAM.