[RESOLVED] Asus P3V4X and Geforce2 problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Asus P3V4X and Geforce2 problem

jbradshw

Post Asus P3V4X and Geforce2 problem

OK.. I just got a brand new Asus P3V4X yesterday and got my system all up and running... latest bios, drivers, etc. My current system is this:
    Celeron 600
    Asus P3V4X mb (latest BIOS and VIA 4.24 drivers)
    128 megs PC133
    30 gig Maxtor
    Visiontek Geforce2 (not overclocked)
    Monster MX300
    3Com NIC
    300 watt P/S

Here's the problem:

The CPU can OC to 900 just fine. In fact it can OC 1011 just fine. Windows boots up and everything works great. However, after a while in 1011, in 3D apps, the screen just flashes back to the desktop.. usually with no error message. Other than that the system is stable. I've tried various detonator drivers ranging from 6.31 to 6.47.. no luck. I thought maybe cooling was an issue so I took the case off and used a big room fan and blew it right in the case. Although the temps dropped a lot it still didn't fix anything.

Here's my question: What could be causing this? At 1011, the AGP is clocked at 74 Mhz.. and I believe the Geforce2 should be able to handle that. At 900Mhz I don't think this happens but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Is there any way to know exactly what the cause of this could be? In some 3D apps at 1011 there is no problem at all. Also I swapped my card with another Geforce2 card (actually a Geforce2 Ultra) and still the same results. Maybe there is something in the BIOS I need to set or turn off? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Oh and one more thing.. the CPU I bought was off a website that guaranteed the 600 to go to 1008Mhz so if it is the CPU I need to know so I can return it.

iateyourcat

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd like to know why you chose the slot1 over the PGA...

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

Darren Wilson

Typical Overclocking problem.

Try dropping the speed down until the system operates how it should. Also try removing the sound card, this can be a major factor.

I don't understand why people want to overclock nowadays??? I have done it in the past and have always gone back to the original chip speed. Why not spend that little bit extra on the true speed CPU and have very few if any problems than suffer?

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited December 20, 2000).]

mdd1963

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Typical Overclocking problem.
    I don't understand why people want to overclock nowadays??? I have done it in the past and have always gone back to the original chip speed. Why not spend that little bit extra on the true speed CPU and have very few if any problems than suffer?
    </font>
    Have you checked cpu prices on a true P3 1GHz lately? It's a worthy effort considering the Celeron 600's price! (Man, this forum is very "OC unfriendly"!)

I don't think the forum is OC unfriendly. I think it is more of a how do you fix problems forum, and when you overclock you tend to have more problems, so the solution is to set it back to what it should be.

MDD1963

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbradshw:
    OK.. Also I swapped my card with another Geforce2 card (actually a Geforce2 Ultra) and still the same results. Maybe there is something in the BIOS I need to set or turn off?</font>
    One typical sticking point with some MBs is enabling fast writes in BIOS; try setting it to Disable fast writes, and try tinkering with aperture size. (What's your cpu core voltage set to? Is your IO voltage adjustable from 3.3 to 3.4V?)

MDD1963

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nighthand:
    I don't think the forum is OC unfriendly. I think it is more of a how do you fix problems forum, and when you overclock you tend to have more problems, so the solution is to set it back to what it should be.</font>
    "Overclocking" is included in the Intel forum topic; perhaps "Set it at it's normal speed/Do not overclock" is not the answer an overclocking poster was looking for.

It seemed a logical question..."Why is my vid card unstable at 74 MHz if others are stable at up to 89 MHz in other MBs?" I doubt he was looking for a lecture on system stability 101, but rather advice on *how* to achieve stability while overclocked.

P.S. This was strictly a quick opinion based on about 5 or 6 rapid fire posts in the forum on the "anti-goodnesses" in overclocking; I apologize if I'm mistaken. Peace!

True enough MDD1963. I think a lot of people (myself included) believe that overclocking is not the way to go when the chips are fairly inexpensive, Intel notwithstanding. However, you do bring up a good point on the type of forum it is, and I agree with your assessment as to the memory.

jbradshw, another thing you may want to try is to drop the AGP multiplier to 2x to see if it makes a difference. Try to increase each part slowly, rather than doing everything at once and working backwards.