[RESOLVED] Voltage for Chip.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Voltage for Chip.

Dualp

Resolved [RESOLVED] Voltage for Chip.

I'm trying to upgrade an old system I have from a Pentium 120 to something faster. The fastest jumper setting on the board is for a Pentium 200. Is it only necessary for me to change the jumpers accordingly once I've acquired the chip or are other setting changes necessary as well? I've heard that it is necessary to check for the voltage settings when making such upgrades but I haven't found any seperate jumpers for this.
    Currently I've only been able to find a 233 MHz and not a 200Mhz. Would it be possible to take a faster chip and clock it at a lower speed. Thanks for your help.

D.Ualp

If I remember right, to put a 233 on a board that only supports up to a 200. I had to set the multiplier to 1.5x which is equivalant to the setting for a Pentium 100. The chip will do a multiplier change internally and will run at 233. I will search for the website that said that would work and post it here later. I have personally done this before on 2 motherboards and it did work, but it has been awhile.

Also what motherboard do you have?

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited December 29, 1999).]

gatestars

Thumbs down

233 intel uses a different volt setting then a non mmx cpu you must have a dual volt setting on mainboard or fry goes the 233 3.5 volt on a 120 mhz cpu and 2.8 I think on a 233mmx been awile since I even looked up that setting

Dualp

Originally posted by kgmz:
    If I remember right, to put a 233 on a board that only supports up to a 200. I had to set the multiplier to 1.5x which is equivalant to the setting for a Pentium 100. The chip will do a multiplier change internally and will run at 233. I will search for the website that said that would work and post it here later. I have personally done this before on 2 motherboards and it did work, but it has been awhile.

Also what motherboard do you have?

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited December 29, 1999).]

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any of the documnetaion for the motherboard. I've been trying to search around to find out what board it is but still haven't been able to identify it as of yet.

So, would I also be changing the jumpers to the setting that is for a 100 MHz chip?
    Thanks again.