[RESOLVED] Jumpers & multiplier locked CPUs?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Jumpers & multiplier locked CPUs?

captpackrat

Question Jumpers & multiplier locked CPUs?

I have an Asus P2B-DS that I would dearly love to upgrade. Since the end of the PIII is nigh, I want to get the biggest and fastest this board can take. Now, the manual shows the jumpers will only go to 8x, meaning that I can only run a maximum of a PIII-800. However, Coppermine CPUs are multiplier locked, so shouldn't the CPU just ignore the jumper settings?

Can I install a 1GHz CPU (10x)? Or am I stuck with the 800's?

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Just a question.
    What about the frequency? Is 100Mhz the higher frequency you can get, or maybe there's an 105 or 110Mhz option?

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

captpackrat

I can push the frequency higher than 100 MHz, however I don't want to overclock the system. It's too important (and expensive) to risk overclocking on. I just want to add the fastest possible CPU's that it can take.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

No, no..
    I didn't mean overclocking!

Here's an example:
    If there's an 133Mhz option, PIII-866 will work.
    6.5x133=866Mhz!

I can't tell you for sure if a new Coppermine CPU will work, but probably it will.
    What I would do if I were you, is to try a PIII-866 or higher CPU, before buying it. You can lend it from a friend.
    If this is not possible, I wouldn't buy it without making sure 100% it'll work.

Then I would search www.asus.com for a newer BIOS version, or the Motherboard's FAQ's for newer processors.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

captpackrat

It's a 440BX, so it's stuck at 100 MHz. And I really don't want to upgrade the board, since it's a pretty nice one (U2W SCSI and all), and Windows 2000 gets bitey when you swap motherboards. :P

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

133Mhz was just an example!

I believe you can use an 100Mhz Coppermine CPU, but you have to try it first!

------------------

iateyourcat

i've got a ds. the max fsb is 112 and multiplier is 8. theoretically you could get 896 out of that but EVERY report i've heard about overclocking a p2b-dx is bad. they get flakey. i did some research about two months ago on upgrading/overclocking this thing and from what i've heard, the performance increase between a pair of 500s and a pair of 800s is marginal and not worth the bread. i stopped playing games on mine about 8 months ago, threw it in a corner and now it's the web/ftp/burning/storage/usenet slurping and dsl sharing server... all that processing power is used compressing the second scsi drive now.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=