[RESOLVED] help me upgrade

Thread: [RESOLVED] help me upgrade

help wanted

Post help me upgrade

I got a sony vaio with pentium 2 333mhz 66mhz bus any way I can upgrade It to a faster cpu?any one know if sony sells upgrade boards? need your help! (sony never replies to me)

MDD1963

Many older boards for the P2 maxed out at 333 MHz, with no ability to offer 100 MHz FSB support for the faster processors. If you can find out the specific manufacturer of the MB, it's possible a BIOS update could allow support for the faster Celerons (up thru 766 MHz w/ 66 MHz FSB), but otherwise you might be forced to acquire a new MB, assuming your case/midtower is not a weird Sony only configuration and meets standard ATX dimensions.
    Good luck

joey3k

Well instead of starting a new topic I have the same thing
    a PII 333MHz at 66MHz FSB
    However, I have the 100MHz FSB option and I can upgrade up to a PIII450MHzCPU
    Anyhow, anyone know where I can get a nice PII350MHz dirt cheap so I can run at 100MHz bus? =)
    Thanks

------------------
    If the problem persists, please contact help desk.

[This message has been edited by joey3k (edited January 03, 2001).]

MDD1963

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joey3k:
    Well instead of starting a new topic I have the same thing
    a PII 333MHz at 66MHz FSB
    However, I have the 100MHz FSB option and I can upgrade up to a PIII450MHzCPU
    Anyhow, anyone know where I can get a nice PII350MHz dirt cheap so I can run at 100MHz bus? =)

</font>
    Well, if specifically looking for a katmai core (512k L2 cache, 1/2 clockspeed), I'd of course recommend checking out www.pricewatch.com

A check of that site (list of nationwide retailers of computer parts with links to ordering sites) just now shows P2/350's at $59, with P2/450's at $79.....naturally, prob another $10-$15 for shipping

Good luck

IT Len

I know an upgrade processor can also be found at buy.com....once you find the processor you're looking for, try pricing it at costfinder.com...they'll do the comparison pricing for you. [At buy.com computer component search, just type in "Pentium II or III upgrade." It's one easy way to find what's available and who makes it.] My last machine was an earlier Sony Vaio, which I upgraded easily but their web site and parts availability leave a lot to be desired. Obviously, I went elsewhere with success!