[RESOLVED] Buying new processor

Thread: [RESOLVED] Buying new processor

nutz07003

Cool Buying new processor

I just purchased a bf6 motherboard for my pc i am building. I am interested in getting either a PIII 500 or 600. But now i see 500, 500b, 500e, 600, 600b, 600e and coppermines. What the hell is the difference. my mother board will handle 100 mhz bus up to 200mhz. I really need help on what to buy.

SRXtreme

The letters usually represent a 133MHz Bus
    but your mem has to be 133 capable there are also the AGP bus speed issue Default is 66MHZ so if you run 100MHZ AGP must be set to 2/3 so at 133 Agp must be set to 1/2 and most MoBo's dont have it.
    Just do the research and check your MoBo manual to see if you can adjust the AGP speed. Would hate to buy that More expense 600E CPU and not be able to benifit from it.
    If you buy a 600E and cant use that hot new Geforce/TNT card and have to go to a PCI video card cause the APG bus is overclocked I see an angry customer
    Do a little research at he overclocker sites:

Head on over to http://www.anandtech.com/ for some good info on all the Itel CPU's www.bxboard.com has some good Info as well
    Also look at this article it may save you a few buck
    Check this out
    Story P3 450 may be a 600 in disguise. http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/1105/1/

Originally posted by nutz07003:
    I just purchased a bf6 motherboard for my pc i am building. I am interested in getting either a PIII 500 or 600. But now i see 500, 500b, 500e, 600, 600b, 600e and coppermines. What the hell is the difference. my mother board will handle 100 mhz bus up to 200mhz. I really need help on what to buy.

jus' tech it

just fyi, I am currently running a 500 PIII. overclocked to 600 and running extremely well. too bad I didn't wait a month. a 500e is available and can easily be overclocked to 750, stable even!!! "e" states the bus speed and "b" refers to the cache size. just remember that to achieve results like these using a "e" chip, you must have pc133 installed. sharkyextreme.com also has some reviews on the Intel and AMD chips if you're wondering.