I was just on intel's web site and i caught sight of this: http://www.intel.com/pentiumiii/inde...ll_PentiumIII&

seems intel is planning to re-release the 1.13 ghz pIII, for desktops. I heard that they were going to do a die shrink, and change the bus to a 200 mhz (100mhz ddr, just like athlon) and release it just for laptops. apparently this is not the case (well, the just for laptop release) maybe they will have the twaeked bus, that would be interesting. at the bottom of the page it said the the PIII was available w/ 512 or 256 k level2 cache. I was excited, and thought that this implied that the new PIII would have 512k cache. Then I noticed that the page also listed the early non-coppermine PIII's that had 512k l2 cache. they call the 512k cache level 2 cache and the 256k cache advanced transfer cache. so what i figure about this new chip is this:

1.) This chip is going to be based on the old PIII 133mhz bus, because Intel doesn't want it to get a faster bus to screw w/ P4's sales. Also, since the PIII is supposed to not be brought back any higher than 1.13 it doesn't make sence to make a new chipset and new mobo's for a one-of-a kind end of the road chip.

2.) It will have 256k L2 cache. Again, the P4 is most likely going to have 512K in it's next generation, and Intel wants to keep PIII on the low end.

3.) It will be based on a .13 micron process because the old 1.13 was recalled because it had reached the end of the line w/ the .18 micron coppermine core.

4.) finally, they say that it will be available in desktop, but I am sure that It will be available in laptops too.

It won't recieve SSE2 becasue that's too "high end" for it. Also, w/ it's 1.13 micron process, it should be a mad overclockin' machine ;-). P4 crunching, anyone?

respond and tell me what you think.