[RESOLVED] Buying a new processor- need help!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Buying a new processor- need help!

letsrock1998

Resolved [RESOLVED] Buying a new processor- need help!

Hey all. I've got a K6-2 450, and I think it's time to upgrade. I want to go to a P3, preferably in the 600's. However, I'm not exactly sure which I should buy. I checked Windrivers for pricings, as well as other places, and this is what I found:
    600 $189 ---
    600B $188 ---
    650 $185 ---
    667 $175 ---

Now, why would the 650 be less than the 600, and the 667 less than both, but yet mhz talking, it's faster. Does it have to do with the cache settings? Which processor would you guys/gals out there recommend? Oh, and while I'm asking q's, what is on-die and flip side? Just curious.

Thanks for your help! (I'm looking forward to AGP4x)

Derbo
    ps- If you wanna know, the mobo I want to get is the Asus P3V4X.

The P3 you will get will depend on what type of mother board you have because they offer a FCPGA,socket 370 style, and SECC, slot one, version. Which ever you get make sure it is a coppermine series, it has and "E" on the end of it, with 256k full speed L2 cache. Also, you will need to decide if you want a processor with 100mHZ Front Side Bus or 133 Front Side Bus. The "E" series has 100 FSB and the "EB" series has 133 FSB.

Flip side refers to the fact that the chip is flipped up side down compared to normal if I understand right.
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

Jessfm

Thumbs up

The celeronII 566e and 600e are good choices and should not be overlooked. I currnetly runa 566e at over 900mhz. From most reviews on these, they are good for 850, especialy if you buy retail. Some go more, mine is an OEM and was not a pre-tested baby, so it was a steal, 935mhz for under £100 is best bang for buck.
    ;D