[RESOLVED] Can overclocking shorten the processer life?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can overclocking shorten the processer life?

Sun Zi

Post Can overclocking shorten the processer life?

Um?

Rune

Yes it can shorten the life of it dramaticly
    But only if you do it wrong, remember to read a little about your motherboard and how much it can take and so on.
    If you set it to high you might burn it.
    Otherwise I dont think it is noticebal that it get shorter life.

I fully agree!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Jallentino

Setting it too high will cause it to create more heat, the hotter they run, the more prone they are to fail, and eventually die. If you are going to overclock , make sure you have a good fan at least. if not a few good fans. Keep it cool.

CREEPINGDEATH

well it depends on how you think of it.

a good proccessor can sometimes last for 5-10 years [not overclcocked]

now the question is " are you gonna upgrade before that"?

------------------
    Give yourself the finger 10 times a day It'll do wonders for your self control.

Sun Zi

What happen after 5- 10 years? The computer won't run?(without overclocking)

------------------
    Hi

Practically after 5-10 years, you don't even care because you already have another machine!

Theoretically, you won't have any particular problem, provided that the CPU worked fine when overclocked.

I haven't any experience with that, because I haven't had any similar issue yet.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Sun Zi

Thanks for the info. Actually, my father will be taking my old computer for his office if i buy a newer one.

------------------
    Hi

DaOnly123Kid

5-10 years i have trouble keeping a machine for 3 months without upgradeing (no i don't have the money to do this, but oh well)

x_789

Unhappy

YES

SiCkNuT

I have had my CPU which is an Intel Celeron 366 running at 550 mhz for a go0d couple of years now. I've never had problems and I haven't gone to any extra effort with the co0ling. Your motherboard is more likely to die before your processor will, not due to overclocking, just age.

------------------
    [ i N S A N i T Y 2 0 o 1 ]

Komok

Exclamation

If electronic equipment dies because of simple aging is an arguable question. If computers age, doesn't it mean that AI is already invented?... Sometimes, i feel that my PC is watching me... damn what tricks she plays on me...

------------------
    A person who argues must be completely sure in himself. A thinking person would never be completely sure in anything. That's why two thinking persons would never argue; share their points of view they will

CPU fans usually die before cpu's (overclocked or not). Hopefully your around when that happens, or you have some kind of hardware heat monitoring enabled. A seized cpu fan, an overclocked cpu, and a lack of some sort of heat alarm are a combonation that could easily shorten the life of your cpu (down to a few minutes after the fan seizes).

------------------
    "You dumb bastard...it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"

cheras

Given the weather and humidity in M'sia, i say you really need a powerful fan, and also if you are opening the case, becareful of RATS...!!!

------------------
    No matter what,
    No matter where,
    If broadband connection is there,
    It's always HOME.

ikarus1

Show me a chip that has died due to overclocking, and I'll show you incorrect voltage settings, shoddy motherboards, and user inexperience with basic PC hardware.
    I have a celeron 266 w/o cache that has performed at 400Mhz for it's entire life, NEVER being clocked at 266 since new. It performs like a workhorse in my GF's machine.
    Incidentally, I have replaced the CPU fan twice This has been over a course of 3.5 years, and default voltage on an Abit board.

------------------
    If all you see is a beige metal box with wires and such, look again. Now turn it on....