[RESOLVED] 440BX at 133Mhz FSB

Thread: [RESOLVED] 440BX at 133Mhz FSB

Metriod

Question 440BX at 133Mhz FSB

How stable is the 440BX at 133Mhz? I will be using pc133 memory. Specifically the ASUS CUBX. Will overclocking it affect the reliability of the UDMA/66 controller? Will Geforce2 Cards run ok on the out of spec AGP?

thanks,

Met

Darren Wilson

NOT VERY

Seriously, you may be lucky if you can get the PCI & AGP dividers down to running the slots at 33Mhz for the PCI and 66Mhz for the AGP. These are the main areas of instability.
    This is normally done via the BIOS or on some boards a jumper or DIP switch. I wouldn't risk it though as you will be overclocking the chipset which could damage the board or other peripheral components such as Hard Disks.
    I have tried it and ended up replacing a Hard Disk and Board because of the IDE controller pulsing.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

????/?

Then why are board manufacturers like Abit specially making boards run at those speeds using a BX chipset like the BE6-II and BF6 motherboards to run 133mhz based processors? I've been using those with PIII 533's and 667 MHZ processors and haven't had a single problem with TNT2 or voodoo3's or geforce based gaming cards and other components.

Punk[er]

I have built computers for friends based on the 133BX. i found it to be probably the most stable chipset I've ever dealt with. i built for my friend a computer that has run perfectly stable with a 440BX overclocked to 148mhz. In my opinion, the 440BX is the most reliable chipset there is. And yes the geforce2 runs perfectly fine on the overclocked 89mhz bus, and the pci bus is clocked at the appropriate 33mhz. not to worry, you're system will work just fine.

Punk[er]

Darren Wilson

I know that Abit are saying that you can run the i440BX at 133mhz on the BE6-II,etc, but if you could have been bothered to read the Intel chipset specifications, then you would have seen that the chipset is only GUARENTEED STABLE at 66 & 100Mhz. This is why Intel developed the now defunct 820 and the new 815 chipsets to cope with the increased FSB. If you also read the board manufacturers board specs then you will see that even they don't guarentee the board to run stable at 133Mhz. If you cannot get the PCI down to 33Mhz via the divider then you MAY have problems with some PCI devices and the same goes for the AGP slot if it is not running at the default 66Mhz. I did not say that it would not run, I stated FACTS.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website