[RESOLVED] More Pentium 3 curiosity

Thread: [RESOLVED] More Pentium 3 curiosity

Punk[er]

Question More Pentium 3 curiosity

Ok, I understand the 'E', 'B', and 'EB'. that is the easy part.
    I am building a computer with a 440BX board, and I want the best processor I can buy that is worth my money.

1) Is there any reason why I should not go with a OEM part BESIDES the fact that the warranty, if existant, is VERY limited? OEM is cheaper and thats what I'm looking for.

2) What the hell is cb0 stepping? (or cbo, i forgot). anyway, processors with this cb0 stepping thingy are more expensive. what is the advantage to it and do I need it for a top-notch system?

3) I am considering either a P3 800eb or an 866eb. they are only 66mhz apart but the 866 price is nearly $150+ more than the 800. Is it worth my while to spend the extra $$ on the 866, or should I be content with an 800? if someone can prove to me that it would be in my best interest, I'd even spend the $800 on a 933eb, i just want the facts. IS IT WORTH IT?

Thanks all
    Punk[er]

Sid Vicious

I just have a note for you that will help your decision to purchase..

If your going with a 440BX motherboard the highest processor you will be able to use will be a 850E.

Why? The 440BX has a 100Mhz FSB and the max multiplier is 8.5 so 100x8.5=850. Which is also the reason it must be a E and not an EB.

The B means 133mhz FSB.

So if you went and got a 800EB and put it in your 400BX mainboard you would post and see the cpu speed read 600mhz.. 133x6=800 and 100x6=600.

(you could use a 440BX and overclock the bus to 133mhz but have fun getting it to work.)

P.S. OEM comes with no box and a 30day warranty from intel.