[RESOLVED] OEM or Retail Box? What the Diff?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] OEM or Retail Box? What the Diff?

myowneq

Resolved [RESOLVED] OEM or Retail Box? What the Diff?

I want to buy a P3 1gh, but noticed in a previous forum someone talking about the difference between OEM and retail box. I have noticed that there is a big difference in price between the two. What is the difference between the two that the price could be affected that much?

Darren Wilson

Retail boxed CPU's tend to come with a HSF supplied and a 3 year warranty. OEM CPU's come with the suppliers warranty and are supplied without a HSF (unless you buyu one seperatly). Buying a retail boxed CPU also gives you the satisfaction that you have actually got what you paid for , as OEM cpu's being loose have been known to be remarked as faster chips from what they are.

Also with a Retail Intel cpu you get a nice little Case Badge

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

myowneq

Ok, nother question, what is a HSF? High speed fan?

Darren Wilson

Heat Sink and Fan.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

myowneq

Thanks. I appreciate it.

billmez

IMHO, if you are dealing with a reputable source there is nothing wrong with OEM cpus. You will also hear them referred to a "Grey" og "Grey Market" because they were not intended for resale, rather bought in bulk for system builds.

The warranty is typically 30-90 days depending on supplier (some up to 1yr). From personal experience having used many Greys in my own systems-- You do have to pay for the HSF, add it into the price difference, I have never had a grey CPU fail, and have run many of them for several years ( as a rule, if a cpu makes it past burn in, you won't have any problems). So consider the cost difference, how well you trust you are not getting a "remark" (which is also becoming harder to do with the new generation chips). If you do buy the grey, run the crap out of it for the 30 day warranty, and cut a picture out of a magazine if you miss the box-- it's much cheaper.

Bill

Kabir Bhanot

I bought a OEM Voodoo3 1000 and it came with the wrong drivers.

MacGyver

So what, I would always download the latest drivers instead of using the drivers that came with the card (if any)

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

But don't forget, the retail box CPU comes with a genuine "Intel Inside" sticker....

I always buy whichever is cheaper at the moment (considering of course the extra cost of a HSF for the OEM chip). In my fifteenth year, God knows how many chips I've bought--thousands?--never had an Intel fail. Oh, and my vendor is 30 days on an OEM.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Kabir Bhanot

Arrow

I know, but I have dial up internet and and drivers are about 10 megs.

So you got a 30-60min download. Not a big deal.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

supatech

OEM cpu's are crap! you get what you pay for, if want to save the extra 10-20 dollars for OEM cpu you still have to buy the HSF. Well unless you invest the money for a decent one 10-20 dollars you will buy a cheap one that will fail. Now I have had a few OEM cpu's fail in my day however I have seen hundred of failed crappy little 2 dollar fans fail. So if you want to buy fans every few months buy an OEM .

A+ NET+ MCP

To keep it simple:

1. Retail - Nice clean CPU with a three year warranty, Intel Inside sticker, and Heatsink and Fan built in. Plus the comfort of a nice retail box (for those to whom that matters)

2. OEM - Less Expensive, allows for any HS&F that is for the Intel, if the HS&F fails, just strap another one on, 30 day warranty.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

MDD1963

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by supatech:
    OEM cpu's are crap! you get what you pay for, if want to save the extra 10-20 dollars for OEM cpu you still have to buy the HSF. Now I have had a few OEM cpu's fail in my day however I have seen hundred of failed crappy little 2 dollar fans fail. So if you want to buy fans every few months buy an OEM .
    A+ NET+ MCP
    </font>
    Your point of OEM cpus being crap and then harping on $2 fans is ludicrous...

Perhaps your $2 fans turned the cpus into "crap"?

Do you beleive there are separate assembly lines for OEM cpus? wrong..same thing, but the OEM cpu will usually only have a 15 or 30 day warranty, and of course no sink/fan...but naturally, a Taisol, Global Win, or hedgehog is better than most factory sink/fan combos.

What sense does it make to fork out $50 extra, then discard the factory sink/fan for a better one?

Joker1

Well put MDD

I have an oem cel600 and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. And with the money i saved getting oem i grabbed a big *** HSF and oced the thing to 855. And its rock solid.

------------------
    Warning: Customer id10T rate exceeding safe thresholds!