Is it really worth it?

Thread: Is it really worth it?

Post Is it really worth it?

I have a PII/400 that I was considering overclocking. My question is, is it really worth it? Do you really see that much of a difference? Thanks

In one of the really, really Blue states.

depends. if you need to need to go thru the hassle of the b21 pin trick, and you could only get up to say 450, than i would say no. if you can get up to 550 or higher and your processor can still be kept cool enough, plus you don't have to up the voltage(or at least only by a small amount) i'd say go for it.
    remember this rule of thumb though. once your processor mhz exceeds three times your fsb speed you get some diminishing returns. you may want to also see if you can tweak your ram up to 104 or 105, which will make the overclock more valuable. I also would not do it unless you have a temp sensor so you can check the processor temp.

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 12, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Thanks. I have kind of an el cheapo mobo, but with a pci banshee 16 mb card it actually will play q3 decently enough without any tweaking. I'll probably leave it alone. Thanks for the advice.