[RESOLVED] Celeron CPU

Thread: [RESOLVED] Celeron CPU

DamonD

Post Celeron CPU

What are the pros and cons of the Celeron processor vs. the PII's & PIII's ? Getting a little confused when shopping for a new pc... information overload. Some say yeah, and others neigh . . . HELP!

For the most part the only real difference you will probably see is speed. I often sell a Celeron system to new users letting them know that it costs about $100. If after a few months they decide they want more speed we can bump it up with a full PIII processor that has more than likely dropped in price by at least the same $100 in the subsequent months--nothing lost. Of course it is important that you begin with a MB and RAM that will support the PIII possibility. Nothing wasted-perhaps a hundred or so saved...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Celeron's rock...they're inexpensive and stable, (ok, so all 3 of my systems run on celerons so I'm a little biased), anyway, they are all in assorted slot 1 boards so if there is ever a need to upgrade I can easily.
    I have never had any bad experiences with celerons period, except the expected problems when your overclocking....but running say a 566 at the rated bus speed and voltage, its rock solid stable and runs all my games and apps without a hitch.

Ok, I'm done

#3 1951-2001

I agree with both sowulo and Weazel. The Celeron is a great processor as well as the P-III. You can start out with a Celeron and if you choose the rignt MB and RAM it is easy and economical to upgrade later. Mainly boils down to economics versus maximum performance.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

corelogik

the celeron has only one advantage over the pIII,...price. no matter what you do the celeron will NEVER equal the performance of the PIII. is the celeron a good proc? yes it is,. for what it does. but lets be realistic
    intel makes both TYPES of chips for a reason.
    if you cannot afford a pII or pIII then the celeron is a good choice. all things being equal and money being no object i would opt for the AMD of equal speed. the only proc ive ever had a problem with was an aceint amd 233, all intel and amd chips tried since have performed flawlessly.

one more important thing to consider, ALL celerons are locked at 66Mhz fsb, AMD's are not my 500Mhz AMD runs at 100Mhz. have a nice day

my opinion on the subject!

------------------
    CoreLogik - "I Control Your MotherBoard"
    DigitalSolutions

[This message has been edited by corelogik (edited September 17, 2000).]

hmmm...my 566 supports 100mhz bus just fine and runs rock solid @ 850 with just a little jolt in voltage
    #3 1951-2001

Darren Wilson

I always thought that the Celerons were locked at the MULTIPLIER not the FSB. Also not forgetting now that the Celeron FC-PGA (566 & higher) now have KNI instructions built into them so there is only a couple of differences between them and teh PIII now. One being the FSB and the other being half teh amount of L2 cache.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

NorthStar

The Celeron works decent for a workstation or even a small server stable yes with MS Operating Systems. But its not the best performer in the low end market doesn't hold a candle with the Durons on anything.Also Celeron runs well with other chipsets than Intel as well.Had very few problems with compatibilty with these on Via or SIS based boards.