[RESOLVED] Dual Processor

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dual Processor

Valkerie

Post Dual Processor

Can anybody tell me what the minimum specs are for running WIN 2000 on a dual processor board - are 2 x 75 equal to 1 x 150 ?

Just used as a games server and for storing MP3s and general fileserver in a computer intensive graduate/student household.

It was being used as an experiment to help me learn and understand NT server <sucker for pain> - I managed to get proxy server running nice as well - not bad for a learner !

Thinking of upping to dual pentium pro 200, any advice ?

bohr

Sorry for the long response.
    To answer your 1st question, no!
    It's just like if you were to own a dual PIII 500 mhz (katmai core) system and expect it to equal the same performance level and speed of a single PIII 1GHz (coppermine core) system, that would be wrong. Instead, both processors will function separately at 500mhz. The 1st processor will do the main duties while the 2nd processor acts as a backup processor to help offset any tasks waiting in que with the 1st processor. In other words, multitasking. Ex) music editing and cd burning. The 1st cpu will be used to listen to mp3's and convert mp3's to wav files while the 2nd cpu is diverting it's attention to burning a cd of wav files, therefore getting the jobs done in nearly 1/2 the time. Usually, if this same process was done on a single cpu, You would convert the mp3's to waves 1st, then burn a cd after that. Single cpu systems are very fast now, so they help to close that gap a little now.
    You also need an O/S and other software like Adobe photoshop 5.0 that will take advantage of a dual cpu system. Most games won't take advantage of a dual cpu system.
    Hope that answers your 1st question.
    2nd answer. To run win2k pro on a single cpu
    system, they list the min. specs as a p133 with 64 mb ram and over a gig of hd space. But it would be better to run win2kpro on a PII 300mhz (or amd) system with 128 mb ram and 2 gig hd space. Now with a dually, you can run a dual P PRo 150 to 200 mhz system (128 mb ram min, rec. 256 mb ram) with win2kpro. But P PRO's will run a little sluggish with win2kpro. P pro's were more optimized to run on winnt 4.0, Linux, unix, etc. during their heyday.
    For dually's running Win2kpro-
    I recommend at least a dual PII 300mhz with 256 mb of ram. 512 mb of ram for running win2k server or Advanced server. Currently, I run a dual celeron 466 system with 256 mb ram running win2kpro and have never looked back. Waiting to see how well AMD cpu's will work in dual mode with tbird or duron.
    OKAY, I'm done!!!