[RESOLVED] p3-550 being detected as P2

Thread: [RESOLVED] p3-550 being detected as P2

RiceMan

Post p3-550 being detected as P2

I'm definitely a novice, so don't be surprised if the question is stupid:

I just put together my system, and to my disbeleif, everything works perfectly except: When I right-click on My Computer, the system properties tab indicates that I have a P2 chip in my motherboard. But I'm certain that it's a P3 chip (it says P3 on the chip itself). So, I have 2 questions:

Is windows acting as if I have a P2 and not using my maximum chip speed? OR, is this just a cosmetic thing (in which case I really don't care).

THe motherboard is an asus p3v4x and the chip is an intel P3 550 100mhz.

Thanks.

Darren Wilson

Purely cosmetic.

The reason for this is that Win95/98 was released before the PIII was available and MS didn't write teh relevant code into it nor into the updates.

Even Windows ME picks the PIII up as 'Intel Family 6 Model 7 Processor'

Nothing to worry about either way.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

crazyman

Question

do you have the latest bios version for your mobo ? during bootup what does it recognize the chip as there ?

[This message has been edited by crazyman (edited October 11, 2000).]

Darren Wilson

The P3V4X runs the VIA133 chipset which has native support for the Pentium III CPU's in teh release BIOS code. The question in hand is what Windows displays the chip as. Like I posted before Windows 95/98/ME cannot recognize the PIII as a PIII as the distinguishing code was not written into teh Windows code. This is purely cosmetic. If you want to make sure that the system recognises it as a PIII then make sure u have Direct X 7 instaled and run DXDIAG from the RUN box. The first page will tell you if the system recognises the PIII as a PIII or not.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website