Intel Overdrive Chip

Thread: Intel Overdrive Chip

Post Intel Overdrive Chip

I put an Intel Overdrive chip in a PB133.
    It did seem to be faster but I noticed
    that during bootup the CPU speed still
    reads p133. I'm just wondering if this is
    normal when using these chips. Also, the
    Intel writeup on them says they boost the
    machine to different speeds depending on
    the starting cpu you have: 75mhz to 150mhz,
    150 to 200, etc. I assume this really means: what speed your mobo is set to.
    Correct??

benchmark it... I have a legacy acer system whose owners manual says it will only take up to a 150mhz. there is however, up to a 3X multiplier setting via jumpers. I put in a mmx 166 and now IT FLIES!!!! (hahaha)... but the post still shows a 133. I actually have a question about that too. I tried setting the multiplier to the 3X to get 200 out of the 166, but it still benches at 166 at 2.5X or 3X. Is the multiplier set on the PI's ?

------------------
    Where ever you go, There you are....
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

In one of the really, really Blue states.

there is more than one issue here. first to take full advantage of the overdrive chip you need a "fully upgradeable" socket 7 board. Intel has a list on their website of those with it, but it mostly lists major manufacturers boards. Second, there is a bios issue, and they have a small program they ask you to run before you install the chip, and it tells you if you need a patch, and if so it will install it.This program also shows your current processor speed, and after you install the overdrive it will show you the new one.third,the jumper settings are important, because by setting your old processor speed, it helps set your new processor speed to some extent(say you had it set for a 133, you might go to 200-if you have it set for 200 you only get to 233 however)(this depends on which overdrive chip you have). also, on certain mobos it is possible not to get the full rated upgrade,due to some autosensing(i think) built into the overdrive chip that has something to do with how close your mobo voltage is to what it should be(by that i mean, if you are a little low on voltage, it won't ramp up so high)
    So my suggestion is to check the speed independently with a cpu speed program, and also get the utility from intel and run it.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush