Pentium 4 Facelift?

Thread: Pentium 4 Facelift?

Post Pentium 4 Facelift?

I have heard rumors this past weekend at a Major Computer Show regarding a restructuring of the Pentium 4. Possible new slot design, New Motherboard design, so drastic that a new case must be designed.. (ATX will not work.) Anyone heard anything similar?

[This message has been edited by Diver01 (edited March 13, 2001).]
    W

captpackrat

Exclamation

Yep. Most P4 motherboards have holes in them to bolt the heatsink directly to the case, instead of mearly clipping onto the socket. This requires standoffs in the appropriate locations, which most current ATX cases do not support. Most P4 boards also have an additional power connector (or two) that require a compatible power supply (I believe the standard is called ATX+12V)

And it make things even more fun, the current P4 will become obsolete in a year, which Intel introduces a new version that is not pin-compatible...

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Antimatter

New case design without significant performance increase=dead. We're having enough trouble getting ppl moving to ATX design as is. Moving them who did it without good cause could cause a riot. ATX definately is the safer option.

------------------
    "IT BURNS...IT BURNS"

UsePost2000

Yes, The intel P4 will be redesigned from a socket 423 to a 478. Ive been in contact with some people from intel and this is the plan. It was prospected to be redone this summer. Its the reason I have waited to buy the P4 and build a new system. Yes, everyone with the 423 will be left in the dust. Oh well, just some news from you know who...

------------------
    UsePost
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, CCNA