[RESOLVED] PIII installation on PII MB

Thread: [RESOLVED] PIII installation on PII MB

billmez

Post PIII installation on PII MB

Can anyone tell me if I ruined a PIII 850 , 100mhz FSB 1.65v cpu by plugging it into a MB with a voltage regulator that only handels a PII or PIII (600) with a 2.0 core voltage. Does Intel have a protection circuit on the chip?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

There isn't any protection circuit on the processor. If it can't handle the voltage, it doesn't boot and you don't hear any beep.

I don't think you fried the processor, but you need to check it on another machine, just to be sure.

Good luck!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

billmez

Thanks, not only didn't it boot, it really didn't boot... I ordered a new board for it hoping that the voltage diff wasn't enough to damage it. Well at least the fan worked.

Thumbs up

Don't worry.
    If you leave it for a few seconds, it won't be fried!

Good luck once again!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

kennethstarrfp

Talking

Hey dude, if it's a SLOT 1 you have a REALLY cool doorstop.

------------------
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Cool

Hey Kennethstarrfp,
    if you DO have such doorstops, send me one. You can't imagine how useful it would be to me!

------------------

milliamp

I have a PIII 550E on a slocket adapter card. I also have a PII 400mhz slot1 Processor which i am currently using. I Want to upgrade to the PIII but when I do insert it, windows98 SE gives me fatal errors everywhere. When I boot to Win 2000 advanced server the changes are automatically made and the OS runs faster. Is windows 98 just not detecting that I upgraded? Are there some new drivers to install? Bios acknowledges that it is there and Windows 2000 works great with it. Please email me back anyone. [email protected]

It should work on a Win98-based machine too.
    Have you checked the processor's settings on the BIOS? Voltage and Frequency.

------------------

billmez

Hello All, Just ot give an update... The processor is fine. I just installed it in an Abit BE-6 v2 MB and it screams. The MB is nice, slot 1, softmenu support for up to 1Ghz III, ATA-100 with IDE Raid. The softmenu bios allows settings of up to 200 Mhz FSB (for you overclockers).

As to the poster that said it is a really coll doorstop-- he probably has a BMW in is back yard that he uses to hand laundry on too.

Thanks for the responses.
    Bill

billmez

Re: PIII-550E on slot 1...

Isn't the "E" processor a 133Mhz FSB? If so, I seriously doubt your slot 1 MB will support 133 Mhz. The problem could be in timing using 100Mhz memory, etc. You may have to manually set the parameters in your bios to adjust the bus timing.

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by billmez:
    Hello All, Just ot give an update... The processor is fine. I just installed it in an Abit BE-6 v2 MB and it screams. The MB is nice, slot 1, softmenu support for up to 1Ghz III, ATA-100 with IDE Raid. The softmenu bios allows settings of up to 200 Mhz FSB (for you overclockers).

As to the poster that said it is a really coll doorstop-- he probably has a BMW in is back yard that he uses to hand laundry on too.

Thanks for the responses.
    Bill
    </font>
    Hehe.. told ya!

That's cool!

------------------