[RESOLVED] Error on Intel Microcode

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error on Intel Microcode

tc888

Lightbulb Error on Intel Microcode

Hi all,

I just installed a retail Intel SECC2 Pentium III 750 MHz slot-1 Coppermine CPU on a Lucky Star 6VBAX2 motherboard with VIA chip set. This motherboard has a softmenu setup for CPU frequency and clock speed. The manual that come with the motherboard mentioned Katmai CPU but said nothing about Coppermine type. The machine had been running with a Celeron 500 on a slot-1 adapter with no problem. Once I installed the CPU, the computer recognized the CPU right away and booted. But during booting, a message show up that said "Unknown Processor ID, Missing Microcode". The machine seems to run fine. However, that message is bothering me. Is there something wrong with the CPU? Is this a motherboard, BIOS or chipset problem? Is there anyway to get rid of this message? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You Very Much for your help.

Darren Wilson

Check with LuckyStar for a bios update. Your Bios maynot be recogising the Cu-Mine core and could damage the chip if the voltage is not set correctly.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

tc888

Thanks for the info.

I downloaded the latest BIOS update and the Awards flashing utility - AWDFLASH.EXE (version 7.64A) from Lucky Star. However,everytime I try to update, I got an error message that either said "Source File Not Found" or "It is not an Award BIOS". I double check the motherboard and check the BIOS date during boot up. It is definitely an Award BIOS. Any idea on what's the problem?

Thanks again for your help.

jbatchelor

Try installing the chip that did not give you the message and then try updating the bios. Then try the new chip, if the bios is update is successful. The update file not found is an issue with you not pointing the flash utility to the correct directory or that is what has happened to me in the past. It's an easy mistake, try running the help utility on the command that you use to start the bios flash utility. Some require that the file be located in a specific directory ie root, and some require you to type the path to the file after the flash utility executable.

[This message has been edited by jbatchelor (edited March 16, 2001).]

tc888

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, its gotten worse. The last time I try again. It gave a "File read error" and now I can't boot up. When I boot, all the computer did was gave me two beeps and two buzzes. Absolutely nothing comes on the screen. I think the BIOS is somehow messed up. Is there anyway to get the BIOS working again? Is getting a new motherboard the only alternative?

Thanks for you help!