Dead Intel CPU..

Thread: Dead Intel CPU..

Question Dead Intel CPU..

After all those years, today I met the first dead Intel CPU!

What about you? Have you ever seen a dead Intel one?

(I just ask about Intel! Don't start another AMD vs Intel debate!!!)

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Darren Wilson

Only ever seen the one myself and that was not Intel's fualt as the sompany who sent it to us didn't pack it properly and one of the small flat resisters (underneath the main die itself on a PII 350 SECC-2) had broken off. Other than that I haven't seen any and only heard of very few. Most of the dead ones came from Overclockers that had clocked the Crap out of the chip itself and they even smelt burnt

<marquee> No sir u cannot have a replacement under warranty as you have just told me u were running it @ 150Mhz FSB</marquee>

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

You know Darren... I was amazed because it's a PIII-500 Katmai. 8 months old only and died by natural causes. No overclocking, no faulty fan, no scratches!

Thanks for your quick reply!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I have seen two, the first one is unexplained. It simply stopped.

The second was a guy that wanted to do it himself. He had a P166 non-MMX in a board that would run a 233 but he never adjusted the voltage to go from the old chip to an MMX chip.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

shawnMt

Only one - a 233MMX with a little crap fan/heatsink made for a 486. The fan was dead - I bet the chip lasted a good while before it finally just gave up.

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!

Seen three. One was from an overclocker. One wsa from a bad fan that stopped and chip overheated. The last one was not bad, but kept freezing up on the client. I ran the CPUid and found out that it was one the stolen and remarked ones. I called the company and they said they had checked all of them themselves and there was no bad one. I faxed them the screen print I made, and they said send it back. I did, got another one and worked fine after that. I always wondered if I should have reported that one to some one else.

3fingersalute

I had one P5/200 (non MMX) that gave all sorts of random errors in windows. I had beat my head against a wall for a while with this machine...(swapped mainboard, ram, video, different HD w/fresh install of 95) and narrowed it down to the processor. Dropped in a P5/150 I had laying around, and BAMM.....worked like a champ!.

Took my longer then usual to troubleshoot that machine, because I am just not used to having an Intel be the problem !!!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Micrsoft will crash on the way there!!!

MG

Wink

Rebuilt a system that used a P133 a couple of years ago. you know help a friend out... Anyway, when I picked it up it was in a big old 486 case no fan or heatsink on the cpu. It ran like that for a long time! could have melted solder on it. Added fan and heatsink on replacement cpu.

jaeger

Only seen one dead P2. Sitting at the computer, when BAM!!! lightning strike out of nowhere. One of the scariest moments of my life. I swear I thought the monitor was going to explode in my face. After takeing out the half-melted processor (small fire afterwards), I now hang it from my rearview mirror. Thats what you get for living in The Lightning Capitol Of The World without a UPS, huh?

------------------
    Life isn't one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and over.

Unhappy

just had a 700mgz celery,tried to put on a bh6 abit mobo,with a slotket and after 4 different slotket adaptor it won`t boot at all the fan is dead and the cpu won`t post,this is a first for me and the celery is boxe typesening it back tomorow,never saw this before,i guess there is a first time for anything, clauded