[RESOLVED] Two different kinds of P4?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Two different kinds of P4?

merka65

Post Two different kinds of P4?

I was shopping for a P4 and found out that there are two different kind of sockets for P4 which of those two are better to buy?
    tia

Jpbtennisman

Yes. The new one, the Socket 478, is the one to get as Intel will be making no more Socket 423 P4s.

------------------
    I am JungleMan.

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited September 12, 2001).]

bohr

I don't know about intel's strategy switching the P IV 423 pin to a 478 pin platform.
    They plan to use sdram with their i845 chipset for the P IV to make it cheaper, but sdram will hinder the P4 performance big time. I'll wait until they switch to DDR in 2nd quarter of 2002.

------------------
    COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR COMPUTER HAS A PROBLEM! ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE ROCK IS GOING TO KICK YOUR COMPUTER'S CANDY *** ALL OVER WINDRIVERS DOT COM. CAN YOU SMELLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING
    ???????

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by bohr:
    I don't know about intel's strategy switching the P IV 423 pin to a 478 pin platform.
    They plan to use sdram with their i845 chipset for the P IV to make it cheaper, but sdram will hinder the P4 performance big time. I'll wait until they switch to DDR in 2nd quarter of 2002.

</font>
    M-PGA 478 is cheaper to manufacture. Smaller die size as well.

------------------
    Yes it is the real deal
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

bohr

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    M-PGA 478 is cheaper to manufacture. Smaller die size as well.

</font>
    Very true!! However, I still don't like how Intel is trying to save face in the marketplace after trying to force RAMBUS down on their customers. Their P4 marketing plans are so botched up!!!

------------------
    COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR COMPUTER HAS A PROBLEM! ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE ROCK IS GOING TO KICK YOUR COMPUTER'S CANDY *** ALL OVER WINDRIVERS DOT COM. CAN YOU SMELLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING
    ???????

Darren Wilson

My bad on the Die Size as both flavours are still 0.18 process, just a much smaller physical size with the 'Thermal Slug' on the new version. Believe it or not the Retail Stock HSF for the M-PGA 478 P4 weighs in at 1 Kilogram (2.2lb's) apparently!!!!!!!!

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Believe it or not the Retail Stock HSF for the M-PGA 478 P4 weighs in at 1 Kilogram (2.2lb's) apparently!!!!!!!!

</font>
    WOW!!!
    That's really odd. Anyhow, I feel Intel really does need to go straight for DDR. The P4 isn't all that fast as it is considering the clock speeds they're putting on them and proper utilization of memory could only possibly help them in the long run. I love SDRAM but I think they need to realize that this will hinder many operations a lot less useful and will make more of their customers even more unhappy than they would be to have to pay a little more for the system because it has faster RAM available.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

-Aplustech

WASAW

Talking

423 is going to max out at 2ghz and the new 478 socket will hit 3ghz+ they are saying. I just built a system with the new mpga 1.5ghz socket 478 sdram. The box is a half size bigger than the old 1.5 cause the fan is so huge and it doesn't mount to the case on the new Intel 845 board it has a retetion clip that grips onto motherboard holes.

------------------
    THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN AND THINGS UNKNOWN AND IN BETWEEN ARE THE DOORS!

Just a quick little benchmark note for perspective:

SETI@home work unit average on PIII 1GHz = 6:45

On a P4 1.4GHz = 5:20

On a P4 1.7GHz = 3:50

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."