1 Pentium 4 1.3 Ghz vs. 2 Pentium III 1 Ghz - Which is greater? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1 Pentium 4 1.3 Ghz vs. 2 Pentium III 1 Ghz - Which is greater?

Tucsonan #1 never make judgment of anything by a single article.

#2 statements like these "Just to quickly cover one more time why I hate the Pentium 4 so much" do not make for responsible well-balanced journalism. And although the author makes some valid points, he oftens sounds like a zealot on a Jihad.

#3 After reading the article I found quite a few inconsistancies and errors concerning clock cycles and CPU architecture.

I will not be trading my Dual Pentium III 1000MHz anytime soon for a Pent IV, but it certainly is not because of the article you pointed out.
    Also, remember this, it takes a software programer using the instruction set of a cpu properly and optimization to realize the potential of any cpu.
    This is why certain applications, being optimized for use on Pent IV's do so well case in point Quake, in this the Pentium IV excels.
    But unfortunately because of the architecture used to achieve high bandwith in media applications, in everyday tasks it flounders and that's where the PIV is loosing ground. Also that coupled with the fact that previosly you could only use RDRAM ( RAMBUS) and it was way overpriced. BTW the prices are coming down, Mushkin has 128 MGB sticks of RDRAM for $48, so even though it's not as inexpensive as DDR or SDRAM it's now within reach for the average user.

My advice has already been offered here, buy the dual processor board and use a single processor or go for the gusto and put dual PentIII's in wether you use it or not you'll have plenty of clock cycles to do anything you want and truly multitask. Something NO single processor board will ever truly do.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Dual Processor systems are always better than single ones.
    BUT
    It really depends on what do you want to do on the computer.
    If you don't run Heavy Graphic apps, Calculations, Simulation Etc. Spend the Extra Money on something else like better 3D card, Memory Etc.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Dual 1.26ghz p3 512k's would rock

thats what I'm shootin for now

Fubarian

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Format_It:
    Hey Fubian, where did you get your information regarding the new PIII's? Are these mobile or Xeon/Itanium(sp?)?</font>
    Oh, I'm a system builder, we hear about all the good stuff earily

Its a tultian (sp) p3 - .13micron process and is gonna come in 4 different types, a 1.13 at 256 or 512k L2 and the 1.26 at 256 or 512k L2 - all at full speed L2 cache Basically the 512k are baby xeons

[This message has been edited by Fubarian (edited September 07, 2001).]

Garak

i miss my dualie
    my dual p2 333, 512 meg ram. i miss it so much, but i guess i will just have to buy a new machine

------------------
    If You Cant Beat It, Bin It....

Just A Thought

Format_It

Red face

believe it or not, but i went for an AMD T-bird 1.4Ghz. Which I am happy with, just some minor BIOS issues. Thanks for everybodies help, but the price became a major factor so I went with AMD. Maybe, I'll buy a dual AMD mobo and hook that up.

Thanks for everybodies help!!!

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Jpbtennisman

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Format_It:
    believe it or not, but i went for an AMD T-bird 1.4Ghz. Which I am happy with, just some minor BIOS issues. Thanks for everybodies help, but the price became a major factor so I went with AMD. Maybe, I'll buy a dual AMD mobo and hook that up.

Thanks for everybodies help!!!

</font>
    That would have been my original suggestion! I am also proud owner of a 1.4 TBird, what are your specs?

------------------
    I am JungleMan.

jtatum_mcse

edited by Sowulo...duplicate post

[This message has been edited by sowulo (edited September 22, 2001).]