Can PII 233 fully used 224 meg of ram?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can PII 233 fully used 224 meg of ram?

Post Can PII 233 fully used 224 meg of ram?

I'm planing adding 128 ram for my PII 233 comp with 20 GB hard disk, Asus tnt2 m64 32 ram video card and running win2k and win98. I usually play diablo II and FPS game. Is there any increasment in performance? Thank you.
    Hi

RAM will always increase performance, until you hit the 512MB limit of the operating system.
    Hopefully that will all change in the future.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

....why does EVERYONE think 9x has a ram limit...it has NO RAM LIMIT WHAT SO EVER. period.

anyway, back to the question...
    Full usage of the ram really is limited to what you do with it. If you only use outlook and play around on the internet, then no, you're not going to use that amount of ram. If you play games, then yes, it'll help.

and just to further my claim...read <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/8/62.ASP" target="_blank">this</a> from microsoft's web page.

and that page doesn't even imply it does have a limit after 1gig

I agree wholeheartedly with Fubarian. Although it MAY be a limitation of the Motherboard.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Well ok Fubarian if you want to play the " Read the MS article game" perhaps you should read this one <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=RAM&rnk=13&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRC H&SPR=W98SE" target="_blank">MS Knowledge board</a>
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

[quote]Originally posted by Eagle PC Diagnostech:
    <strong>RAM will always increase performance, until you hit the 512MB limit of the operating system.
    Hopefully that will all change in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think that Someone will reach the memory limit of Win2k...
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel:
    <strong>

I don't think that Someone will reach the memory limit of Win2k...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

Thanx guys! BTW, i've brought 128 sdram with cas latency 2 and pc133. It doesn't work right at first with my mother board but after swaping the ram between the slot, it works smooth until now.
    Hi

[quote]Originally posted by Budster64:
    <strong>Well ok Fubarian if you want to play the " Read the MS article game" perhaps you should read this one <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=RAM&rnk=13&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRC H&SPR=W98SE" target="_blank">MS Knowledge board</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

uh ok....where does it say the OS can only use 512megs of ram?! This article talks about the virtual mem....and limiting the usages of ram using maxfilecahce...and also says to, again, LIMIT the amount of mem to less than 512meg

this is telling you if yer having this problem with boatloads of ram - cut down the Vcahce file.

STILL nothing to do with a "limit" that windows can use....its saying - if you have 768 or 512 and having these errors, try this

Duh

My point is that your article never mentions an upper limit, it also never says that the OS will work as well with large amounts of RAM either.
    Experience will show that Win9X does not have great memory management, or have you never heard the term BSOD? if it did why must we reboot after a failed program crashes your comp? that's because Win9X does not run programs in a seperate memory space like NT4/5 do. And consequentially you won't see any significant performance enhancements to running more than 512MGb of RAM in W9X, probably the contrary and that error you pointed out about the VCache it must happen frequently don't you think, for MS to make a knowledge base article about it? Also their solution is to limit the RAM not the VCACHE to under 512MGBs...why would they mention the amount of RAM if that was not the cause of the problem? Win2K on the other hand thrives on large amounts of memory and can use it properly.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

The best way to end a flaming war is to take it into PM's or do not respond to the initial attack.

Good points on both sides BUT "Buster64" Wins Hands Down.
    Sorry.
    The flame is flickering.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

DANIMAl you are quite right...my apologies.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

[quote]Originally posted by Sun Zi:
    <strong>I'm planing adding 128 ram for my PII 233 comp with 20 GB hard disk, Asus tnt2 m64 32 ram video card and running win2k and win98. I usually play diablo II and FPS game. Is there any increasment in performance? Thank you.</strong><hr></blockquote>You'll be at 256MB of ram? That will do fine. I don't think 98 is a great idea for running games since it tends to lock up a lot. Also, a utility that allowed the ramdisk settings for windows to be extended would help a good deal.

[quote]Originally posted by DANIMAL:
    <strong>The best way to end a flaming war is to take it into PM's or do not respond to the initial attack.

Good points on both sides BUT "Buster64" Wins Hands Down.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

make a good statement, then say someone wins

not very smart move.