[RESOLVED] Building A P4 System. What will I need? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RESOLVED] Building A P4 System. What will I need?

My P4 has been up and running trouble free for a few weeks, it really flies and I am impressed with it. The AMD lovers will say theres is faster, gooder, whatever. I like Intel, I think Software is not written yet to take full advantage of the type of proceesing the P4 Can offer, but that's part of being ahead of the game. My rig Rocks. Heres my Specs.

Intel P4 1.3 Ghz
    Intel Board
    128 mg Ram. (2 64's.)
    ATI 32 Meg Vid Card
    SB Live Sound
    7200 Rpm HDD
    50X Acer CdRom
    HP CDRW 9300
    DSL Nic/Modem
    19" KDS Monitor
    Tower Case W/350 Watt PS

I am set for a while. I had a P3 800Mhz and this machine kicks it's a$$.
    "We have assumed control"

I will still side with Licia, Scutterboy. Just because AMD didn't design the chipset, you can't label it "unstable." I have had great luck with AMD, and while Intel is a good platform, it too has it's inherent weaknesses.

Do you remember the P60 and P66? The P4 is headed down the same road! Do NOT buy a P4 - I suggest a 1.3 Ghz Tbird / KT7A Raid / 256MB PC133 combo. It can be had for a little more than a P4, and it will kick the p4's a$$ across the board! ( Mostly, anyway.)
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose

Cool

I just finished building 3 P4's. At first I was unsure about the decision to move to a P4, I was thinking Athlon due to the fact that I personaly use (T-Bird 1Ghz, AV7) one and it is great! The signs of stability are great. I do agree with most that moving to a P4 may not be your best path for upgradibility. But, If the client wants a P4 after explaining the CPU roadmaps, then he/she gets it!

I was very impressed with the performance of the P4. The end user was extremely impressed that the boot up took seconds! Here is the config:

Intel P4 1.4 Ghz
    ASUS P4T Board
    128 mg Ram. (2 64's.)
    Cardex 32 Meg GeForce2 MX Vid Card
    SB Live Value Sound
    Western Dig 40gig 7200 Rpm ata/100 HDD
    48X Mitsumi CdRom
    Plextor CDRW 16x10x40a
    Intel Pro 10/100 Nic Card
    19" HP (Hitachi) Monitor
    InWinn S-508 P4 Case W/300 Watt PS

The InWinn Case is a great P4 case for it's value!! $62.

The only caution with building this would be: Do Not Over Tighten The Motherboard Screws when mounting in the case. The ASUS uses a special backboard for it's P4T and when mounted in the case to tight, the back of the board shorts out on the Back Plate. Just SNUG the screws!! null
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!
    -----------------------------------