Question about PIII FSB speed ?????????

Thread: Question about PIII FSB speed ?????????

Post Question about PIII FSB speed ?????????

I have a Pc that states it can run a PIII 800 at 100Mhz FSB. 100Mhz FSB is the highest setting for my Motherboard. After looking at prices for this cpu on pricewatch.com and some reseller's websites. I find that the PIII 800Mhz, at 133 FSB speed, is about $5 - $10 cheaper than the PIII 800 at 100Mhz FSB. What I would like to know is if I can run the 133Mhz FSB cpu on my pc at 100Mhz FSB???

Is this a case similar to PC133 SDRAM being able to run at 100Mhz FSB with no problem? Or is it locked into running at its rated speed like most Intel chips are known to be?

Darren Wilson

in a nutshell no. Even though some BX boards have a 133Mhz option, this exceeds the specification for the chipset and a lot of the boards do not have the relevant PCI Divider to run 133Mhz FSB on a BX properly.

It may be possible to run it at 100, however the cpu may be multiplyer locked. Which means you would end up running an 800 (133x6) at 600 (100x6).
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>