[RESOLVED] PII vs. Celeron

Thread: [RESOLVED] PII vs. Celeron

VCTech

Question PII vs. Celeron

My friend has a Pentium II 350 on an Abit BX6 rev.1 mobo and he asked me if he put in a Celeron 533 PGA, if it would be faster than his PII 350...i'm guessing that it would be equivalent to a Pentium II 450 or so...am i close or way out in left field??

MacGyver

The only difference between a Pentium 2 and Celeron of the same clock speed is that the Pentium has more on board cache than the Celeron. So it depends on what you're doing, but generally the Pentium is much faster since having a big on-die cache can speed processing up tremendously. The Celeron was created as a low-cost alternative to the Pentium 2, since on-die cache is (or was) very expensive.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

To take it just a bit further....

A PII will be about 34% faster than a Celeron of the same clock speed. (a PII 350 will run about the same as a Celeron 466)

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

VCTech

Lightbulb

So a best guess then is that a Celeron 533 will be equivalent in "processing power" of a Pentium II 400 then? ( I used 25% because the difference you gave me between 350 and 466 is about 25%), wouldn't be much of an increase, bottom line is he wants to be able to run the current games on the market without putting any money into his system and some of the newer games have steep system requirements on processor, so maybe a 533 celeron would get him another 6 months or so eh?

350X.34=119
    350+119=469

400X.34=136
    400+136=536

Don't know about your 25% but your conclusions should be about right. The Celeron 533 should be a little faster....

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."