Most of my recent work has been with AMD processors. I'm aware that 300+ watt power supplies are said to be "absolutely necessary." However, I've been a reluctant Tech, and not willing to buy into that advice without some real exploration of my own. I've stuck with the standard 250 watt PS that comes standard in the medium priced cases I employ in new builds, and I had had surprizingly reliable results. I have learned that improving case ventalation seems to have more to do with this reliabilty than watts, and now that I've explained that I am aware of PS issues, here's my question.

Due to prices and availability, I'm tempted to experiment with the P3, 1 gig and up family, and I am concerned about PS requirements and performance. Are there any minimums to be met? Is ambient case temps as critical with P3 as they are with AMD? I am looking at a line of mobo/chip combos that are inviting as upgrade kits for the line of Celeron 300s I sold a few years back, and I'm wondering if I should factor in a new PS/Case with the offer. Any and all advice is welcome, I've been an AMD fan to long now, and need to catch up.

Thanks, be safe.