dvd ripping
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dvd ripping

Post dvd ripping

why can i not extract vidoe files from my dvd drive (creative 16X)? it gives my a message about my drive being locked.

has someone foolishly put coy protection on the dvd they sent me, or is it a problem with the drive itself?
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Banned

go and download a cop of clandvd , and a cop of TMPGEnc ,,and prepare for a long wait.

ou can rip a dvd onto our h/drive in about 4 mpg files , on a 1 hr 40 min dvd it works at 3x30m + 1 remainder , then use nero to make a Vidio cd , two files on the first 2 on the second disk,

BE WARNED , when i was ripping last night using TMPGEnc (which is slower/lower qlty than clan) I managed to get my CPU temp up to about 47c as opposed to 37c , and my machine was locked solid (could not open explorer etc) with clan total use of , and as im converting (now) my CPU usage is 100% , but yet I can still use a software modem.

You can learn everything you need to know
    <a href="http://www.vcdhelp.com" target="_blank">here.</a>
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

I use <a href="http://www.dup-dvd.com/" target="_blank">dup-dvd</a> . It works pretty good, just takes a long time to make a VCD
    "The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them." President George W. Bush

Exclamation

Are you sure that ripping a copyrighted DVD is legal???
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

[quote]Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    <strong>Are you sure that ripping a copyrighted DVD is legal???</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think for back-up perposes if you own it you can, but it is very border-line.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

[quote]Originally posted by Garak:
    <strong>

I think for back-up perposes if you own it you can, but it is very border-line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My thoughts exactly..

I thought it should worth mentioning once again.

At the risk of 'Topic closed'...

Assuming the DVD is for legal purposes , then is it merely region locked, perhaps some 'other' playing software would do the trick....?

<strong>

My thoughts exactly..

I thought it should worth mentioning once again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

from what i've read <a href="http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/131199.html#1" target="_blank">here</a> it looks to be pushing towards illegal activities, but not yet had a law against it. although if this does happen, it goes against consumer rights (i think) not trying to stir up the fire here guys, just thought i would let you know.

Hope this clears a few things up.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

If the program you are using to rip the VOB files off tells you that the drive is locked, open your playing software and play the DVD for a few seconds. Then go back and try again.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

<strong>Are you sure that ripping a copyrighted DVD is legal???</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're not mass producing it, or profitting from it, then it's totally legal as no copyrights have been infringed.
    Hello World

what is the point of dvd ripping, doesnt the picture quality suck?

i have a dvdrom but never ripped any of them because it sucks to watcha movie on my 15in' monitor

i have a regular dvd player to watch flicks.

i just never knew the purpose of copying a good quality dvd into a lower quality mpeg or what ever.

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Exclamation

[quote]Originally posted by WebHead:
    <strong>

If you're not mass producing it, or profitting from it, then it's totally legal as no copyrights have been infringed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but we're not sure about that...

[quote]Originally posted by AbSoLuTeZeR0:
    <strong>what is the point of dvd ripping, doesnt the picture quality suck?

i just never knew the purpose of copying a good quality dvd into a lower quality mpeg or what ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and that's what made me say it!

[quote]Originally posted by AbSoLuTeZeR0:
    <strong>what is the point of dvd ripping, doesnt the picture quality suck?

i have a dvdrom but never ripped any of them because it sucks to watcha movie on my 15in' monitor

i have a regular dvd player to watch flicks.

i just never knew the purpose of copying a good quality dvd into a lower quality mpeg or what ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some people find is "Smart" or maybe arousing when they can take a DVD (Mpg2) and recompress it (Cascading compressions) using DviX and such (better used for CD-Roms and streaing media then TV) while resizing the picture (Hey it was sharp, now it's looking like water on the TV) and watching on there Computer monitor.

there are more options but the final quality is **** , also with VCD/S-VCD/X-VCD and the rest.

That is diferant from smart asses like me making backup of a DVD using there Pioneer A03
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>

Banned

ok haveing watched this thread , i dicided to investigate.
    if u d/load a copy of smartripper and rip the movie , and split it into chapters (on yor h/disk) then d/load TMPgenc and go into project wizard and add and keep adding all the tracks as a batch run ,,,,,,and go to the pub for a week!!!

when you have done that separate the mpegs from vobs , and go to mpeg tools and cut/join and add the files IN THE CORRECT ORDER (untill you get a file that will fit on a cd), and join them.

go to nero / vcd (not svcd) ,,and say new, add your mpeg file and go for it.
    when it asks if you want to decode the file say no.

burn the file onto a cd ,,,the quality is very good.

I apresiate that ther may be quicker/easier ways of doing this BUT the 2 progs used can bee d/loaded free ,,,and all you need is time.

scuba , i know (through reading your posts) that u know a lot more on this subject ,,,I have worked this out in a matter of 48 hrs (in spare time) , if you can suggest inprovements/shortcuts to above please do.

freddy