[RESOLVED] overclocking

Thread: [RESOLVED] overclocking

C0NF0RTY

Post overclocking

what program do you suggest to overclock CPU?
    thank you

[This message has been edited by C0NF0RTY (edited October 18, 2001).]

ad3p4

Usually, overclocking is done through the BIOS settings. That way, you can control allaspects of FSB, voltage, etc. yourself directly. Check out Overclockers.com for ideas on how high you could overclock your current CPU.

As for software (running under Win2000?)... I don't even know if such a thing exists

------------------
    "Expect the unexpected"
    ------------------

Fubarian

yea, there's some programs that allow you from within windows to adjust things like your system bus, but...why even bother.

I never recommend overclocking.

C0NF0RTY

but i don't afraid overclocking CPU coz there are ppl who did that whit same CPU and whit same matherbord Link

i'm just searching for good software what you suggest!!!

Darren Wilson

MSI boards are normally sold with FuzzyLogic (MSI's own soft Overclocking software which doesn't do a very good job). The previous posts are all correct, infact you may have to actually move jumpers on the board to raise the frequency (changing multiplier is out of the question with the CPU). To be honest if you are using a 350 and you want more speed, you may as well buy a new CPU (say a Slot 1 PIII 700) as you are still going to be disapointed with the results even if you do manage to overclock. Say you have a PII 350, running at 3.5 x 100. The maximum that you can possibly get out of this is going to be 3.5 x 133 (466Mhz). That is the maximum, and then you need to look at PCI clock frequency (at 133Mhz you will need to make sure the PCI clock is running at 1/4 rather than the default 1/3 at 100Mhz to get the PCI Clock as near to 33Mhz as possible). If you left the PCI Clock Divider at 1/3 at 133Mhz I would hedge bets on it that none of your PCI cards would function at the speed of 44.6mhz and the AGP functioning at 88.7Mhz (in 1X mode or 167.4Mhz in 2X mode) is highly unlikely also. In reality the maximum a lot of BX based boards wil go to using standard 100Mhz SDRAM is 112Mhz (3.5 x 112 = 392Mhz) and that is with good quality SDRAM. If you use PC133 SDRAM you may get a little nearer to 120Mhz (3.5 x 120 = 420Mhz), but I wouldn't place money on it.

I don't recommend overclocking neither.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

kingtbone

Wink

Normally I wouldn't recommend overclocking to anyone, but if you don't know how it's done, I'd especially not recommend it to you. If you're just looking to learn, then there are about a million overclocking sites out there, just type overclock in Google for 1 million+ hits.

------------------
    Posts look pretty stupid without the signature, so here it is.

C0NF0RTY

Ok
    thank you all for helping
    i've disade to buy new mather-board and to buy new CPU (pentium IV@1Ghrz) whit 256MB of RAM
    it will cast me 500$
    but i'll need to work for it (i'm not used to work ) and i'll get (almost) new computer

can some1 give me good URL about overclocking where i can learn about it
    thank you all again

Overclockers.com

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Talking

[quote]Originally posted by sowulo:
    <strong><a href="http://www.overclockers.com/" target="_blank">Overclockers.com</a>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Smeg! I wanted to say it first!

wait a second... I did:
    [quote] posted October 16, 2001 11:01 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Usually, overclocking is done through the BIOS settings. That way, you can control allaspects of FSB, voltage, etc. yourself directly. Check out Overclockers.com for ideas on how high you could overclock your current CPU...<hr></blockquote>
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams