[RESOLVED] Runnning 133MHz CPU as 100Mhz

Thread: [RESOLVED] Runnning 133MHz CPU as 100Mhz

Hybrid View

tc888

Post Runnning 133MHz CPU as 100Mhz

I have an old BX motherboard that runs the 100Mhz FSB. I need to upgrade the processor. The 133Mhz FSB P3's are a lot cheaper. If I use the 133Mhz CPU on the motherboard and run the CPU as 100Mhz, would it create any problems. I understand that P3's has a multiplier lock. I'll be running the CPU slower. I want to be sure, especially for SECC2 slot-1 CPUs.

Thanks for your help.

JADabandon

what type of cpu is this? did you say it was a slot1? and yes some of the P2/P3's have a lock on them, I know I have tryed to over clock my slot1's befor -_-

but if isent then you should be able to underclock it, I could under and overclock my old socket pentium's

tc888

The processor I am thinking of is a 133MHz FSB Pentium 3 slot-1 Coppermine core CPU running at around 850Mhz. If I put this CPU in the BX board, I should be able to run it around 650MHz being that the FSB is 100Mhz. Hope this will not cause any problem.

Thanks for the response.

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by tc888:
    The processor I am thinking of is a 133MHz FSB Pentium 3 slot-1 Coppermine core CPU running at around 850Mhz. If I put this CPU in the BX board, I should be able to run it around 650MHz being that the FSB is 100Mhz. Hope this will not cause any problem.

Thanks for the response.
    </font>
    Only as long as your board itself supports the CUMine chips as the voltage is a bit lower on them than the older CPU's.

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

tc888

Thanks!

The board I am using is a SOYO 6BA+IV with the latest BIOS. It is supposed to able to handle the Coppermine core. The only questions I have left right now is since the board provide additional FSB ranges (133Mhz), can I be able to use the CPU at the 133MHz FSB even though the BX chip set is a 100MHz chip?

Thanks again for all your help!

Silverman

You can run the Soyo 6BA+4 at 133FSB but you will be overclocking the AGP and PCI bus. The BX, unlike VIA, doesn't have the correct devider to keep PCI at 33 MHZ and AGP at 66 MHZ when running at 133 FSB.

------------------
    DOS isn't dead it just smells funny

Talking

The problem may be that the board itself may not have the correct divider to run the PCI bus at 33Mhz when the FSB is run at 133Mhz. It is not a limitation of the BX chipset. My Asus P3B board allows me to select either a 3 or 4 divider when running 133Mhz FSB. Selecting the 4 divider keeps the PCI bus running at 33Mhz when the FSB runs at 133Mhz.

Unless Soyo has upped the revision of the board it won't have the divider, I have 2 Soyo BX boards both SY6BA+IV's and neither will step down PCI at 133 FSB. They will run pretty much anything overclocked tho' and quite stabile.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov