[RESOLVED] Pentium 4 1.7Ghz vs. dual Durons at 1Ghz

Thread: [RESOLVED] Pentium 4 1.7Ghz vs. dual Durons at 1Ghz

Ex-Hasbro Tech

Question Pentium 4 1.7Ghz vs. dual Durons at 1Ghz

Hey guys, here's my question:

I am looking to buy a new rig and need some guidance. I want to avoid an Athlon at all costs, (since I cracked the core on the chip I had previously and am very disappointed with it's overall quality), and I am willing to spend about $600 for the whole setup (ram, mobo, and cpu). I used to be a die-hard Intel fan and I have been drawn back to the apparent stability and quality (both of the physicalities of the chip itself and of overall system performance) of the Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz. However, I've also been tempted by a setup I saw at monarchcomputer.com that featured dual Durons at 1 Ghz with DDR ram. My question is, which do you think would be the better investment for a 3d gamer like myself? Also, any advice on lower prices would also be appreciated!! The durons would be on a Tyan Tiger MP mobo and both setups would have 512 megs of RAM.

Thanks,
    Evan

RoysG

I dont think any game can take advantage of 2 CPU, even on Win2k. I could be wrong. I would go for the P4.

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by RoysG:
    I dont think any game can take advantage of 2 CPU, even on Win2k. I could be wrong. I would go for the P4.

</font>
    Quake 3 is the only one I am aware of.

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

Cobra

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Quake 3 is the only one I am aware of.

</font>
    And the Sims as well.

If you don't like AMD, and don't want to use AMD, then why even consider AMD? Go with Intel.

------------------
    LET THE PANTIES HIT THE FLOOR!

Fubarian

knew about q3, but not the sims

Yea, when it comes to dualing - screw AMD, they're brand spankin new to dauling and besides, I don't have a 1Kw power supply sittin around to power something like that.

I'll stick with my daul 1.26ghz at 512k L2 with my (almost) 1 gig o' ram

------------------
    Just because is shouldn't work, dont mean it won't.

yps

Wink

don't you know that a lot of recent games (i mean 3d games) need an amd to run better? perhaps you don't... but ofcourse i do..

------------------
    AMD Duron(r)700@1066MHz(133x8), Abit KT7E, Seitek 256MB SDRAM(CL2), GForce2MX/32MB @210/190, Seagate 20GB/ATA100/7200RPM, SB Live! Value, AOpen 50x CDROM, GlobalWin FOP38 @7.0 Volt.

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by yps:
    don't you know that a lot of recent games (i mean 3d games) need an amd to run better? perhaps you don't... but ofcourse i do..

</font>
    Total f***ing codswallop!!!!!.

Make Mental Note:- YPS is being paid by AMD and never to read 'Chip' magazine.......

------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 27, 2001).]

Cobra

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by yps:

</font>
    Not to start a flame war or anything, but...are you retarded?

I mean, Jesus, I am a die-hard AMD user. I build primarily Duron based systems at my shop, I've got a T-bird 1GHz at home on an Abit KT7, (soon to be a 1.4GHz at least on a KR7-RAID) and anyone who says that today's games NEED an AMD to run better are full of ****!

Even though this is a direct contradiction of what I own and run at home, the BEST out of the box gaming rig will use the following three components - an P3/P4 CPU, an Intel chipset-based motherboard & an ATI Radeon video card. Again, that's OUT OF THE BOX. If you feel like tweaking & reg hacking and screwing around with different driver sets (which I do) you can get MARGINAL better performance out of an AMD CPU, a VIA chipset-based motherboard (all the good AMD boards are VIA, sadly) and an nVidia graphics card. Sorry, but that is just plain FACT. Those three components together are about as stable as a hunk of jello straight out of the box. And that's not to mention all the numerous games out there made just before/around the release of the Duron/T-bird lines that need patches to function at all.

Sorry, but the only game I know of that has a mode that is optimized for an AMD processor is Quake II/III, which do have a 3Dnow optimized mode. Other than that, you'll get identical performance out of either an AMD or Intel platform, or if anything, slightly better performance from the Intel platform.

Yes, I am an AMD lover...but at least I know reality from fantasy. And Intel is STILL the industry leader, and just about every software company optimizes their programs for Intel CPUs. Maybe one day that will change, but not anytime in the near future.

------------------
    LET THE PANTIES HIT THE FLOOR!

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited September 27, 2001).]

Hippie_Techs

Cool

At this point in time, it doesn't really matter which processor you use after you hit 1GHz. It's what else you put in the machine that matters. Perhaps a little RAID 0 action, a GeForce 2 or 3 (not the MX series) or an ATI Radeon (preferably the 64MB version), and plenty of fast (read CAS 2, or PC800 for the P4) RAM. I wonder when the Radeon 8500 is coming out. Delays, delays, delays. I don't know about you, but I can't visibly see the difference between 180 FPS and 200FPS. All of the other performance upgrades will help the computer ran faster in everything, not just games. So whether it's a P4 or a T-Bird or a PIII or a Dual-Duron setup, your only going to notice a difference if you run a benchmark. I don't have a preference for AMD or Intel. I think they both do some things well and some things not so well. I use an AMD T-Bird because of price/performance, but I also have CAS 2 memory, RAID 0, and a Radeon 64MB video card. I know the P4 2.0GHz beats the AMD 1.4GHz. I know the GeForce 3 beats the Radeon 64MB. I also know that my machine didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, "I drank what?"

Lips2001Ad

Bull poo its imposable to tell the diff between 180 fps and 200 you are just as how off pussy.

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Lips2001Ad:
    Bull poo its imposable to tell the diff between 180 fps and 200 you are just as how off pussy.</font>
    Hold on, wasn't that exactly what Hippie_Techs said in his post though?????

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">originally posted by Hippie_Techs
    I don't know about you, but I can't visibly see the difference between 180 FPS and 200FPS.</font>
    ------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 27, 2001).]

Ex-Hasbro Tech

Angry

Whoa boys, whoa!

I didn't want this post to turn into pit of bloody carnage (as so many Intel vs. AMD posts do)! I just wanted an honest opinion. I know Intels are stable as hell, but they are expensive ( at least to me). AMDs are cheaper, but I have experienced them to be physically as cheap as the pricetag suggests.
    I want something with lots of power, but not lots of price. I don't care whether Intel is a monopoly or AMD is going under... I just want results and the most bang for my buck! Now can everyone please just play nice and we can get back to discussing the merits of SMP and durons as opposed to a single p4?

Evan

(BTW: i posted in this forum instead of the AMD forum since things can get a bit wild in there)

k. Duals don't really give you more speed unless the app is written specifically to take advantage of it. Duals DO give you more power--if you routinely multitask apps duals will improve the performance....If you don't multitask a lot go for the fastest CPU....

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Darren Wilson

The first thing you need to think about is 'Which Operating System are you going to be using'? If it isn't NT3.5x ,NT4, Win2K or the soon to be released XP Pro, then you will be simply wasting your money on a Dual setup as these are the only MS operating sstems that will support SMP. Secondly, as pointed out originally, if you are a 3D gamer then unless the actual game makes use of SMP, it will be of little benefit unless you multitask apps whilst playing the game (i.e. setting the game to run on one CPU, whilst running other apps on the 2nd), & thirdly, although dual Duron's will work fine, there is a big difference in real performance between the Duron & Athlons and the actual Athlon MP's in the way of cache enhancements which are optimised for SMP. Basically, if you are serious about SMP, got with a Dual Athlon MP or Dual PIII system. If none of the above are 'you' then go for the P4 (or even an Athlon 1.4Ghz as the core damage can still occur on Drons & PIII's & more likely on the PIII through the lack of the sponge 'feet' that the Athlon/Duron has). A single Athlon 1.4Ghz will give you better performance than a SMP Duron system by far, and even then if you bought the Dual Board, and only fitted on Athlon MP 1.4, you could always add another to it in a few months or so.

------------------
    System Specs