Overclock Newbie

Thread: Overclock Newbie

Post Overclock Newbie

i recently got my hands on a cele 500 and a slot 1/socket 370 matsonic board. i didn't pay anything for them, so i thought i'd try to OC. at 560 (7.5 x 75) it will boot into windows and everything runs ok. i have gotten it up to 623 (7.5 x 83) by upping the fsb to 83 and the voltage from 2 to 2.3. but it won't boot into windows. i get a registry error. is there something i am missing? i am using a 64 meg pc 100 chip of siemens ram, and it has a old Savage 4 16 meg agp card. what else should i look for? maybe not enough cooling? it has a normal fan with oversized heatsink. any ideas guys? thanks
    take care and tempt not the fates

First of all you can't just bump up the fsb without pushing other things. For example the pci will be running at about 44mhz instead of 33 so if you have any cards that cant cut it youll run into problem. If you have a mainboard that supports over clocking in the bios youll have better luck since you can adjust the pci/fsb multiplier.
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

Also, if its an old 370 and not a FCPGA your probably getting pretty close to the max of the core.

With overclocking like anything else where your going beyond the specs the hardware is rated for your OCing milage will vary. So just because someone elses chip may have gone way higher yours may not go beyond 10% higher.
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

mptyza

Is the registry error just as you enter Windows? If so, just disable scanregw.exe in msconfig's startup tab. I used to get the same error, like I said, just after I logged on to Windows.