P4 12V 4pin connector

Thread: P4 12V 4pin connector

Question P4 12V 4pin connector

I have built 2 p4 systems (clients request)in the last couple weeks and did NOT connect the 12V connector on an Asus P4T. After a query I was told by another tech that he did not connect it either and he used a standard ATX300W power supply. I was concerned that this was a mistake and I could damage the board/proc as there are warnings on the Asus box about using the PROPER Power Supply???

I was extra carefull with the install and everything went great. The machines are running fine (so far).

Does anyone have any advise on this??? I have read everything at Intel's site on the P4 and they say you HAVE to connect the 12V 4 pin connector. I have even enquired with suppliers and no one seems to have these PWS in stock??? and they gave me the "stupid user" look when I enquired even when I pointed out on the MB box that this is so???

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Darren Wilson

My Macron Power MPT300 PSU has the extra 4 Pin 12V connector. Try getting hold of one of these.

Thanks for the reply. i will try and find one here if not US$ are going to be hard to justify... Do you have to hook it up though. like I said the machines are running fine and were burned in?

Darren Wilson

Not tried it without plugging it in so cannot comment. It is not plugged in on the Athlon system I am using though

The PSU with the 12V connector cost me £40 Sterling.

As Arti Johnson used to say on Laugh-In.
    "VEEErrrYYY INTTTERESTINGGGG...but stupid" If its not needed/plugged-in why is it their...

Anyone want to comment?

I am suprised they booted up at all. You do need that connection. You can by an adapter instead of replacing the PS but I would reccomend a 300W PS at least. Go to Google and type in ATX 12V P4 and several shops carry the adapter for like under 10.00
    "We have assumed control"

Sparkle makes a 300 watt model for PIVs.

Model number FSP300-60BT(12v). Make sure you include the (12V) or you will get a power supply without the 4 pin connector.

We use a lot of these with no problems.
    Their product list is here:
    http://www.sparklepower.com/products.htm

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Not tried it without plugging it in so cannot comment. It is not plugged in on the
    Yeah, i happened to check with R&D at my work just today regarding this and they said I can chop off the connector if i wanted to use it for a different board and it wouldnt matter.
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!