socket 423 vs socket 478

Thread: socket 423 vs socket 478

Post socket 423 vs socket 478

i've never dealt with P4s before, just PIIIs and athlons. but now a customer wants a P4 system. i hate to sound stupid here, but whats the difference between the socket 423 and the 478? correct me if i am wrong, but the socket 478 is newer and uses sdram? is that right? i just need a little info before i choose the parts for the system. thanks guys

------------------
    "the angle of the dangle is inversely proportionate to the heat of the beat"

[This message has been edited by Buddy Holly (edited October 16, 2001).]
    take care and tempt not the fates

Darren Wilson

Socket 423 is the original P4 platform based on the i850 chipset & RAMBUS(although there will be some boards with this socket using the VIA P4X266 chipset & DDR memory). Socket 478 is the later platform which is supported on both i850 & i845 boards and will also be available on the P4X266 & SIS645 DDR chipsets. The faster P4's will only be launched on S478 and when the 'Northwood' core based P4's & Celerons (Celerons on Northwood will be released in 2002) will only be available on this platform.

So to cut a long story short, if your customer wants an upgradable platform, then I suggest that you use the S478 based CPU's, on i845/SIS645/P4X266 for budget systems and on i850 (Abit TH7II-RAID for example) for high end systems.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

Jpbtennisman

Note that, benchmarks aside, (Darren has noted before how benchmarks are often artificial, and he's pretty damn smart) in most REAL WORLD scenarios the new P4/DDR333 chipsets should just about match RDRAM, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than RDRAM

So for low end look into SDRAM or DDR266..high end get DDR333 or RDRAM.

But I agree with Darren; there's really no point in buying a Socket 423 board now.

------------------
    If I have recommended equipment for you and did not supply a price..search for it on www.pricewatch.com

America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm