[RESOLVED] PII 400 L1 Cache causes lockups?

Thread: [RESOLVED] PII 400 L1 Cache causes lockups?

Gangrene

Post PII 400 L1 Cache causes lockups?

I have been fighting with a PII 400 PC for a while now. I eliminated everything but the Processor and the MB. Another tech I know was talking to me about problems with L1 cache on some PIIs. Turns out the are 400s also. I disable L1 cache and my PC works (very slowly.) Is this problem common to all PII 400s? Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gangrene

Darren Wilson

No it is not common to all PII 400's. I have seen this problem once and it was faulty L1 cache on the actual chip itself. Intel replaced it and no problems for the customer since.

------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

yps

Wink

yes, darren was right this time... it's uncommon. if that wasn't the bios setting (you didn't mention the mobo that you use though..), then it's the cpu itself. just return the cpu to get a new one.

------------------
    AMD Duron(r)700@1066MHz(133x8), Abit KT7E, Seitek 256MB SDRAM(CL2), GForce2MX/32MB @210/190, Seagate 20GB/ATA100/7200RPM, SB Live! Value, AOpen 50x CDROM, GlobalWin FOP38 @7.0 Volt.

Gangrene

Angry

Called Intel because the PC manufacturer has gone under. Intel was happily helping me until they determined it to be and OEM processor (not sure what difference that would make) and they told me to go back to the mfg. Told them I couldn't and then they rudely asked for everything up to my blood type and then had me fax a request for Warranty Request for Help Form and wait for them to possibly help me.
    Great scott! Only gonna go through with it because I am more stubborn than they are lame. If they have a common problem with a line of processor, shouldn't they be willing to replace?

Thanks guys.

Darren Wilson

Gangrene

Intel are right to direct you back to the manufacturer/supplier for OEM goods as it is the manufacturers/supplier responsibility to replace any OEM goods under warranty. If the manufacturer/supplier has gone under, a lot of companies still will no uphold the warranty or support for an end user on OEM products. If it was a retail boxed CPU then there would not have been a problem.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

Gangrene

Yeah but the flaw was a manufacturing flaw so you would imagine they would want to stand behind their product. We actually have 3 of these processors in our company that have all had the same issue within a month or so. Too bad the OEM distributor went under right before we discovered the problem. Tough time to be a technology anything right now.

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Gangrene:
    Yeah but the flaw was a manufacturing flaw so you would imagine they would want to stand behind their product. We actually have 3 of these processors in our company that have all had the same issue within a month or so. Too bad the OEM distributor went under right before we discovered the problem. Tough time to be a technology anything right now.</font>
    Don't forget the possibility that your three CPU's were not genuine 400's but "rebadged" 300's that all fried due to being overclocked. There are a lot of chips out there that are sold this way. Just get your hands on a bunch of unlocked CPU's that WILL overclock, grind off the original labeling and then relabel--instant 100% markup or more....Anyway, Intel only warranty's OEM CPU's for 30 days while they warranty retail chips for 3 years. If they help you out they are doing so solely out of the goodness of their hearts. If your provider promised you 1 year warranty on your system, they were on the hook for the last 11 months warranty on those CPU's.

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."