[RESOLVED] An ITANIUM on a Slot 1? That's impossible!

Thread: [RESOLVED] An ITANIUM on a Slot 1? That's impossible!

Jpbtennisman

Resolved [RESOLVED] An ITANIUM on a Slot 1? That's impossible!

My friend, who most of the time (note the word MOST) knows more about this stuff than I do, says that there will be a special slocket that will let an Itanium go in a Slot 1 motherboard. Having basic knowledge of computers, this idea would seem absolutely absurd-- a 64-bit CPU on a chipset designed for a 32-bit architecture.

I asked on [h]ardocp just to be sure and everyone thought I was crazy for asking..

So where's he getting this info from.. The Weekly Loony Bin?

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

dlagace

Doesn't sound right ot me either.
    Did you ask him where he heard that from ie:Website.

------------------
    "What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge dLagace=DANIMAL

Jpbtennisman

He's not online right now....but I can't wait to read whatever he found that out from, so I'll know never to visit that site

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

Darren Wilson

I would love to see this

Now we know why the iA64 is 'performing' so badly LOL

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited October 13, 2001).]

Jpbtennisman

Seems he got his names confused..he meant a "Tualatin" slocket. LOL but that WAS funny.

------------------

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Darren Wilson

Even the Tualatin would be impossible as well!!! The Tualatin won't even work on most i815 based boards unless they are of the B0 stepping revision, so I think their is no chance that they are going to run on a BX You pick your mates don't you Tennisman

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

Jpbtennisman

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Even the Tualatin would be impossible as well!!! The Tualatin won't even work on most i815 based boards unless they are of the B0 stepping revision, so I think their is no chance that they are going to run on a BX You pick your mates don't you Tennisman

</font>
    What is it for then?

http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm

Says right on the website it works with the Intel SE440BX2.
    ------------------

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 14, 2001).]

Darren Wilson

If it does work then good for them, but it wil probably fall along the wayside with the rest of the SlotKet convertors.

One thing I did notice is that a Tualatin is supplied with it, but the Tualatin runs at 133Mhz FSB, yet the SE440BX2 won't due to Intel not allowing the board to be overclocked. If you ran a SE440BX2 at 133mhz the BIOS does not have the PCI divider of 1/4 but still at 1/3 which would then make the PCI clock run at 44.3Mhz instead of the standard 33Mhz. There are not a lot of cards out there that wil operate a 44.3Mhz PCI clock are there?

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">from Intel's SE440-BX2 spec sheet
    Different versions of the Intel® SE440BX-2 Desktop Board provide different processor support. The processor's VID pins automatically program the voltage regulator on the desktop board to the required processor voltage. The system bus speed of 66 MHz or 100 MHz is automatically selected. The processor connects to the desktop board through the 242-contact slot connector.</font>
    How can the 133Mhz FSB Tualatin run on a board that only has AUTOMATICALLY selected speeds of 66 or 100Mhz FSB?

Unless PowerLeap have placed an over-riding bios on the actual cartridge itself to change the necessary settings, I don't see how this can work on the SE440-BX2 boards, unless it was tested with a 100Mhz 'Celeron-T' (Tualatin core)???

------------------

Jpbtennisman

Thanks for the info DW...I never thought of that, just use a Celeron-T in there. Is the 1.2 Celeron a Celeron-T?

I can't seem to find this thing anywhere either. Not on Pricewatch.

And I heard Intel was going to start making 478-pin Celerons (that would go into P4 mobos)..is this true and when does this start..at what clock speed?

------------------

America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Darren Wilson

The S478 'Celerons' based on the Northwood core are due for release next year and are slated to be launched at around 1.8Ghz.

Yes the 1.2Ghz Celeron is based on the Tualatin core and is processed at 0.13 micron. The Celeron 1.2Ghz Datasheet can be found here.

------------------

GJFowler

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    this idea would seem absolutely absurd-- a 64-bit CPU on a chipset designed for a 32-bit architecture.

</font>
    This has been done right from the start with the 8088 CPU, a 16 bit chip which used the cheaper 8 bit external architecture, in comparison with the 8086. Likewise the 386sx's, and early Pentiums. (If you find an old P60, you might find it doesn't need SIMMs in pairs.)

I guess there's no reason why a third party can't implement the necessary to do this, as Darren said, a suitable on-board BIOS etc, but it's hard to see the point, it would just be extra cost to cripple the CPU.

------------------
    I used to be Platypus...

The platypus, proof God has a sense of humour.