p3 533

Thread: p3 533

Post p3 533

A question only. I have this p3 533 that I'm thinking of puting in a bx MOBO that will only go at 100fsb Do you guys think I could safely run that chip at 550 or should I play safe and go at 500?
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I think that if the board doesnt support it it will only go as fast as the board will allow. So I would put it as fast as I could
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Agreed, speed is all nice and fun, but reliability is nicer and more fun - choose the highest speed the board will safely handle then sit back and chuckle at you rfriends who have to yell over their pc fans because they OC'ed it for a few more seconds of speed ina day.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the 533 multiplier will be set to 4 (4x133 = 533) so if you put the cpu on the 100fsb board it will only run at 400mHz
    What do you mean its all my fault?...

Yep, ROMchip above has a great point. Intel's CPUs feature locked multipliers. In your case, it's 4. The only way you'll get the potential speed (533 MHz) from that CPU+BX mobo combo is if you were to overclock the BX to 133 MHz, which is hit-and-miss. There is no way to get 500 (translated 4*125) or 550 (translated 4*137.5), unless you can adjust the fsb in small increments. Either way you are not playing it safe unless you run it at 400 MHz. Even then you might run into core voltage problems.

Smile

I currently have my Voodoo 3 running on the Asus CUSL2-C board. No problems with it and i am running With a PIII800EB (133Mhz FSB) Rock Solid it is.
    Don't even ask why they call me stressball....

ROMChip has it right. The CPU will be multiplier locked so it will only run with a 4x multiplier. BX chipset would only allow that to run at 400MHz. Pick up a decent Asus P3 board. For slot 1 go for P3V4X (VIA), socket 370 go for CUV4X series (VIA), or CUSL2 series (i815).
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?