Upgrading tips needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upgrading tips needed

Cool

I agree with Radical Dreamer about AMD systems. I have 10 years knowledge of computer systems and build my first Athlon machine in no time at all. This was only after extensive research (which I do with any major purchase) on Athlon systems (Thanx to WinDrivers for most of that).

However, in this case I would recommend a good Pentium 3 upgrade, as Athlon's are murder to troubleshoot (as well as needing specific power supplies).

Ideally to start with try a P3 1Gig, 128 Mb PC133 Ram and a branded Intel 815 mobo (I have had no trouble from Asus and Abit). As long as the power supply is 250 Watt+, there should be not problems.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Cool

Originally posted by jadepeony:
    I have a pentium 2 celeron A 333mhz, 96 ram, and a fair motherboard and a voodoo 3 3000agp card. I want to upgrade to a p3 900mhz or amd t-bird 900mhz, should i just upgrade the cpu and the motherboard or do i have to upgrade other things like ram, video card etc?
    I just have had a similar configuration ... celli400/64M/voodoo3-2000/6Gig-HD

... my problem was: mobo works only til 533MHz - so upgrading CPU wouldn't be any use...
    I decided to take an extra 128MB RAM and a 45Gig Harddisk... and I tell you the 128MB+ was worth any buck (the 64M sucked a lot when re-loading) and also the Harddisk rocks - always do full-installs now!

I think you have the same problem - and if you really want to have a P3/900MHz: buy it new with better combination of newer Hardware ... but in fact I don't think it's really necessary - perhaps you can upgrade your CPU to the edge of your mobo's specs and buy an extra 128M RAM ... that can do the job for most cases (my computer does - nothing, no game, that didn't work well)

Talking

FooL is right, one half upgraded, stripped system grows into another system "with just a few more parts.." and "I can use it as a file server" or "Then we can all play StarCraft" then, days later, the Missus visits the basement looking for you, because she hasn't seen you all weekend....trade, sell or burn all unneeded parts, before it's too late!