[RESOLVED] Overclocking PIII 933MHz to 1GHz??

Thread: [RESOLVED] Overclocking PIII 933MHz to 1GHz??

Ebu

Talking Overclocking PIII 933MHz to 1GHz??

Ok, I just want to do a minor overclocking of my PIII 933MHz to 1GHz. I have never overclocked before, and I was wondering; do I have to overclock the bus speeds too? I am using an Abit SA6R motherboard with 256MB of PC133 RAM. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks, any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Why even bother? If I were you and you want to experiment with overclocking find yourself a slot 1 Celeron 300-333 and overclock the hell out of that...for two reasons:

1) CHEAP - if you fry it who cares?

2) You will actually see a performance difference with a 300 running at 450, rather than from 933 to 1000.

And lastly to tell you the truth, O/C'ing is not all that it's cracked up to be...it's pointless now anyways with CPUs being so fast.
    "...my ties I've severed clean
    less I have, the more I gain
    off the beaten path I reign..."

Plus I hear it could also create a lot more heat doing this. Not that 1ghz don't get hot..

But they weren't really made to be overclocked.
    Altho the MHZ is based apon GOOD speed that it can get.. you could also overclock it easily with no problems..

you could look for overclocking on
    techtv.com or zdnet.com (same place, just sister sites)

also the prob is not only will you be overclocking your cpu, but by increasing your FSB you'll also be overclocking you RAM and vid card. If you're already running pc133 mem sticks your taking a chance with them. I burnt a heckuva lot of RAM OC'ing much more often than CPU's.
    And honestly for the overall strain you put on the rest of your system, in your case you won't see a whole helluva lot of a performance increase.
    But Seebas is right, if you want to experiment snag a celeron and see what you can get it to do.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Originally posted by Ebu:
    Ok, I just want to do a minor overclocking of my PIII 933MHz to 1GHz. I have never overclocked before, and I was wondering; do I have to overclock the bus speeds too? I am using an Abit SA6R motherboard with 256MB of PC133 RAM. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks, any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    Well, enter the BIOS, select advanced, and start fiddling with the available Bus speeds in 1 or 2 MHz increments. Generally, even with halfway decent PC133, hitting 138 MHZ is usually not really a problem, which will have you at 966 MHz. I'd not really want to go above that with generic memory, and you likely won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Im running a 933 @ 1ghz, quiet comfortably. it peaks at about 49 degs C and averages 38 - 40. But dont even try to o/c it unless you have pc150 ram, its too much risk and you dont want to be forking out cash for new sticks of ram. Í'm not sure if the abit board you have can be set to a higher bus freq than 133, but if it can, make sure you take it one level at a time. ie 134 then test if the system is stable, if it is progress to 135 and so on.
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

Originally posted by Hound:
    Í'm not sure if the abit board you have can be set to a higher bus freq than 133, but if it can, make sure you take it one level at a time.
    The SA6 was the only 815 based board to best the Asus CUSL2 in a few benchmarks, which is acknowledged as *THE* 815 to have. The last review I read on it, it had all the same tweaks/options in the BIOS as any Asus board.

Cool,

an prolly a darn site cheaper too

Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

The Asus cusl2 is a good board apart from the small problem that the bios loses all of ur settings when u turn the power off! I'm using an ABIT SE6 to o/c my PIII 700 up to 980. ABIT make some quality boards packed with features I'd reccomend them to anyone

the first pc i built was a k6-233 w/ a cheap pos pc-chips mb. worked fine, except for some reason i can't get any pci cards to work properly i.e pci video works in 2d, but locks up in 3d, pci sound card locks up computer if drivers are installed, pci mpeg2 card locks up computer if dvd's are played. i learned my lesson w/ pc chips, so i took a name brand approach : abit bp6 dual cpu mobo & 1 celery 433 (had plans for some dual cpu lovin' when i got win2K). that lasted a couple months before giving me problems, and finally the board died, a week after warantee expired- grrrr. let it be known that the pc-chips and k6 are still running happily as a mp3 server while the abit board is stuck in a box in the basement. my current mobo is asus cusl2. its an awesome board that has not given me an ounce of trouble. plus it comes with a cool "powered by asus" sticker. anyways, i would definatly recommend the asus cusl2, and stay away from abit.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?