P4 - Best brand of RIMMS to use?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P4 - Best brand of RIMMS to use?

Hybrid View

Post P4 - Best brand of RIMMS to use?

Looking at slapping an Asus P4T-E and a P4 1.6 in my machine, but I'll need to buy some RIMMS. Looking at either Infineon, or Corsair, but I've always used Crucial, so I don't know what to buy. Crucial doesn't make RIMMS.

Bottom line, for the absolute best in stability, and performance, which is the better brand?

Thanks.

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

Oh yeah, and should I be concerned with getting ECC RIMMS?

Thanks!

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

I wouldn't buy ecc unless it was for an expesive workstation or server solution.

samsung are a major manufacturer of RIMMS. Many other firms are just using samsung components.

I think the usual suspects can still be relied on. I have to admit though I haven't seen different brands benched anywhere.

Kingston are usually good + expensive. If I get round to building myself a P4 I'll probably just use samsung.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

[quote]Originally posted by scutterboy:
    <strong>I wouldn't buy ecc unless it was for an expesive workstation or server solution.

samsung are a major manufacturer of RIMMS. Many other firms are just using samsung components.

I think the usual suspects can still be relied on. I have to admit though I haven't seen different brands benched anywhere.

Kingston are usually good + expensive. If I get round to building myself a P4 I'll probably just use samsung.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have a problem with spending a lot of money if it's going to benefit me in any way shape or form (this is not to say that I can afford it tho hehe). If ECC helps me in either performance or stability, I'm all for it. I do a lot of gaming and audio recording/editing.

Samsung is the major manufacturer, I think Intel bundles Samsung memory with the socket 423 chips. Truth be told, samsung has always crapped out on me, no matter what it is. I'd prefer to stay away from samsung if I can

/|rokh

I've used lots of Samsung and Corsair...haven't seen any difference (except in price) and haven't had a bad chip either....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Samsung here as well. Always works and not a bad chip. Did have a difficult Infineon chip though. 512 ECC. Worked with ECC disabled..............

Mis-marked, I suppose.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Obviously I've never tried the RIMMS but I can tell you that you should take a look at what Mushkin has to offer..they are based on Micron chips, just as the Crucials are.

I know that they make very good DDR chips so I'd assume the same quality/performance applies for their RIMMs.

Yeah, I was looking at mushkin also... the only thing that doesn't make sense is, if they are made from micron chips, why doesn't micron make them also?

As long as we're talking p4's here, i'm going to have to get a new power supply also... it doesn't have to be anything snazzy.. 300W would work i'm sure. Probably just gonna get a good old generic power supply, but are there any brands I should stay away from (like deer? hehe).

We have a powmax i believe it's called at work, 400 watt, dual fan. Thinking about that.

/|rokh

[quote]Originally posted by arokh:
    <strong>Yeah, I was looking at mushkin also... the only thing that doesn't make sense is, if they are made from micron chips, why doesn't micron make them also?

As long as we're talking p4's here, i'm going to have to get a new power supply also... it doesn't have to be anything snazzy.. 300W would work i'm sure. Probably just gonna get a good old generic power supply, but are there any brands I should stay away from (like deer? hehe).

We have a powmax i believe it's called at work, 400 watt, dual fan. Thinking about that.

/|rokh</strong><hr></blockquote>

Spend the extra bit of money and get an Antec PSU..they're pretty good. Not incredibly expensive either (unlike PC Power and Cooling), although not cheap.

Yes, stay away from Deer if your life depends on it also generic isn't good

That's cool, I was looking at an antec, didn't know how good they were.

Theres a store around here that has a 350w enermax whisper quiet one for pretty cheap... they any good?

/|rokh

Yeah, the Enermaxes are good..although the Antecs are a lot better with 5v rails.

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>Yeah, the Enermaxes are good..although the Antecs are a lot better with 5v rails.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pleading ignorance here, what does the 5v rails mean? Wow, I was under the impression enermax's were better... antec is the ticket tho eh. Hmm.

/|rokh

I just put together an Asus P4t-E w/ 1.7Ghz, Gainward Geforce2, Liteon CDR 16X, SBLive 5.1, 2- 128 Corsair PC800 w/ WinXP Home on IBM 40G HDD, no problems at all..but found that Asus's PC Probe says the CPU is running at 134 degs F...sounds a little hot to me but seems stable...don't know if PCProbe is accurate or if it's really that temp. Anyone know what the normal temp is for a P4 1.7? Retail Box.

VCTech: Just of note, the temps from the Asus Probe run a little high.

Hmmmmmmmm. My wife's 1.7 runs @99 F. Your Temp does seem a bit high.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!