P4 - Best brand of RIMMS to use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P4 - Best brand of RIMMS to use?

[quote]Originally posted by DocPC:
    <strong>Hmmmmmmmm. My wife's 1.7 runs @99 F. Your Temp does seem a bit high.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My girlfriend's 1.6 runs @ 135f. Are you using the stock heatsink/fan, or a different brand. If so, which one? Full tower, mid tower? How many fans.

Also, is that a socket 478, or 423?

Thanks.

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

Well I put together ANOTHER machine just like the one in my last post except for the addition of a LiteOn DVD drive and it shows the EXACT same temp 131F in Asus's PCProbe. Both machines are rock solid so I guess I will not worry about that temp for now. One guy told me he was playin games on one of them all night long with no lockups or crashes so must be within tolerance. I'm still gonna do more research on it ...might try a cooler besides the Intel stock ones and see what happens.

Oops sorry it's a Socket478....(tiny little things huh?lol)

Maybe they can just run hotter... must have something to do with being so small and fat

I'm going to be getting a 1.7, as soon as I can decide on brand of RDRAM to throw in that sucka. (hence, the original question of this post hehe).

I think I want to go with corsair, but they don't have a compatibility listing for the asus P4T-E. The listing for the asus P4T says they recommend ECC. I don't know if I want ECC, I'm a gamer and think that performance hit could hurt.

Of course Ram Guy @ their forums never answers posts

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

[quote]Originally posted by arokh:
    <strong>Maybe they can just run hotter... must have something to do with being so small and fat

I'm going to be getting a 1.7, as soon as I can decide on brand of RDRAM to throw in that sucka. (hence, the original question of this post hehe).

I think I want to go with corsair, but they don't have a compatibility listing for the asus P4T-E. The listing for the asus P4T says they recommend ECC. I don't know if I want ECC, I'm a gamer and think that performance hit could hurt.

Of course Ram Guy @ their forums never answers posts

/|rokh</strong><hr></blockquote>

Running a P4 2.0GHz on a P4T-E OC'd to 2.2 (20X110) and Corsair non-ECC with no problems at all (20X112 boots fine but IE6 crashes). Stock retail HSF, system runs at 40c.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Ok, now this is getting on my nerves. I've been digging deep in this, and it honestly looks like the major manufacturers (mushkin, corsair) all just resell samsung memory.

Is the non-ecc corsair memory you have really samsung memory?

If thats the case, I'll just buy samsung outright and save myself some dough. I was hoping to get away from samsung, but they got the market cornered it seems.

Thanks Much!

/|rokh

Don't feel like looking. I did have a second pair of 256Mb Samsungs on board without any problems either so just get the Samsungs if you're so inclined.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Well, theres always something new to try, just ordered the p4 1.7 478, asus p4t-e (w/o audio) and 2 samsung pc800 rdram 256MB. we'll see how it works out.

/|rokh

You shouldn't have any problems

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>Obviously I've never tried the RIMMS but I can tell you that you should take a look at what Mushkin has to offer..they are based on Micron chips, just as the Crucials are.

I know that they make very good DDR chips so I'd assume the same quality/performance applies for their RIMMs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes I agree that Mushkin does make very good RAM
    they manufacture their own PCB's and use Infineon chips. I don't know anything about them using Micron chips. BTW you gonna answer the question about the 5V rails???

Arokh you should do fine with the memory you purchased.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Mushkin sells samsung manufactured rdram. Weird huh?

/|rokh